Skues' Orange Quill

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Bishthefish1

Re: Skues' Orange Quill

Post by Bishthefish1 »

Forgot to add the sherry is very old Palo Cortado - not Amontillado or Oloroso :D :lol:
'Most anglers spend their lives making rules for trout,
and trout spend theirs breaking them'
- George Aston

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

Thanks, Alistair!--the rusty orange biot over olive thread sounds like a good solution--do you have any photos you could post?

As for this--
Bishthefish1 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:33 am
Forgot to add the sherry is very old Palo Cortado - not Amontillado or Oloroso :D :lol:
I'll remember this the next time Dana and I end up in a bar in NYC.

bb

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀
“Time to go fishing”

Bishthefish1

Post by Bishthefish1 »

bearbutt wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:41 pm
Thanks, Alistair!--the rusty orange biot over olive thread sounds like a good solution--do you have any photos you could post?

As for this--
Bishthefish1 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:33 am
I'll remember this the next time Dana and I end up in a bar in NYC.

bb
LOL!!!!!
- George Aston

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Interesting topic and introduction to G.E.M. Skues... now, I'll digress slightly... growing up and getting into flyfishing in the 60s--- long before the Internet, DVD's, Youtube, etc.--- there wasn't much written word available on nymph fishing, a topic of interest to me... thus in 1968 I acquired a copy of Nymph Fishing for Chalk Stream Trout by Skues, which I still have... various pages have sentences and phrases underlined in pencil, bits of insights I thought new and important to me... in later years I acquired two more of his books, but can't say I devoured them with the same interest I devoted to the first read...

Thanks for the memories...

Ed

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid »

I really enjoyed Alistair's description of the flies on his home stream, especially the mention of cree hackle. Cree hackle is to my fly tying what bacon is to the sustenance of my soul. I love them both and to hell with moderation....

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

St.Froid wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:22 pm
I really enjoyed Alistair's description of the flies on his home stream, especially the mention of cree hackle. Cree hackle is to my fly tying what bacon is to the sustenance of my soul. I love them both and to hell with moderation....
Mike - Being since you farm, do raise your own hogs, and have a smokehouse?

There are very few things better in life than home made bacon, cooked in lard over an open fire(in an iron skillet of course). I used to smoke mine with shell bark hickory....it seemed a bit sweeter and smokier than the standard shag bark.

Dana
“Time to go fishing”

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid »

Theroe wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:16 am
St.Froid wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:22 pm
Mike - Being since you farm, do raise your own hogs, and have a smokehouse?

There are very few things better in life than home made bacon, cooked in lard over an open fire(in an iron skillet of course). I used to smoke mine with shell bark hickory....it seemed a bit sweeter and smokier than the standard shag bark.

Dana
Hi, Dana. Yes, we did raise our own for a number of years; Mangalista's and a few heritage breeds. We're scaling back these days. The cattle are fewer and the piggies are far fewer. Overwintering animals this far north is hard labor. I have a small smokehouse for personal use and experiments and such but all our commercial smoking has to be done in a USDA certified processing plant.

Alder has become my default choice of wood, even for the bacon and brisket. We smoke Togue with it as well; you have to do something to those things to make them edible...

Bishthefish1

Post by Bishthefish1 »

A few examples of the BWO patterns I use here in N.Yorkshire.
Attachments
E989FB35-61C8-4E30-BACD-B5D990BD4AD7.jpeg
E989FB35-61C8-4E30-BACD-B5D990BD4AD7.jpeg (113.34 KiB) Viewed 411 times
- George Aston

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

Thanks, Alistair--

I like those dirty orange spinners. A friend recently sent me a Pearsall's chart that indicated the elusive 6B goes by the name of "sherry spinner"--and now, ever-so-slowly, all the details are falling in place: Orange Quill. Sherry spinners. Palo Cortado.

I don't know if those nuanced colors really matter, but it's nice thinking that they do.

bb