Herman Christian

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
upstatetrout

Herman Christian

Post by upstatetrout »

1106181435b.jpg
1106181435b.jpg (88.26 KiB) Viewed 851 times
Harry Darbee upon meeting the famous fisherman at Huggins pond in the Catskills noticed this fly in his hat.

Hook Allcock #w170 model perfect sz. 12
Wing wood duck
Hackle dark blue dun
Tail dark blue dun
Body red floss underbody which showed through an over wound peacock.
quill.

Tkank you Ed Van Putt for showing me this pattern.
Last edited by upstatetrout on Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eperous

Re: Herman Christian

Post by Eperous »

Tom, very nice tie, but I had to take your lead and look through Ed Van Put's new, 2016 revised edition of The Beaverkill to find the proper name of this fly on page 225--- Christian Red Body Fly...

You made me work too hard... :( but, worth the effort and very nice tie/pattern... :D

Ed

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout »

I found it on pg 40 of Harry's book a Catskill Fly Tier.

Tom.

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

A beautiful fly, Tom. What hook is that and what is the white spot at the base of the wing?

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout »

The hook is an Allcocks size 12 model perfect #w 170 probably from the 40's

The white at the base of the wing is tying thread. I use white when ever I use silk floss to make the floss brighten up. The theory coming from Sunshine and the Dry Fly by J.W. Dunne who actually painted his hook shanks and used a special cellulite finish. Usually the white thread will disapear with an application of varnish. I am trying a commercial blend of tying varnish and am not happy with the result. I will probably return to using good old fashioned marine spar varnish. The head I coated with black cellire.

Tom

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

Tom ~ Thank you for the informative details. I love that hook (and Theroe will too).

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

upstatetrout wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:43 am
... The white at the base of the wing is tying thread. I use white when ever I use silk floss to make the floss brighten up. The theory coming from Sunshine and the Dry Fly by J.W. Dunne who actually painted his hook shanks and used a special cellulite finish. ...
Tom, do ya mean this book from 1924...

Sunshine and the Dry Fly.jpg
Sunshine and the Dry Fly.jpg (97.62 KiB) Viewed 781 times

It was a great read... has a little of everything in it... the trout's window, mayflies, BWO's, terrestrials, Gnats, patterns, even some physics plus the part about painting the hook shank white... I even tried that for a while, back in the 70s... :o

Oddly enough the first chapter of this book is "Troubles of a Beginner". Dunne must have foreseen some of the flyfishers of today needing Tweets, Instrgrams, FaceBook, and all types of social media, plus a paid guide almost every time on the water to catch a trout... :roll: Where's the spirit of adventure and self-discovery anymore? :?

Ed

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout »

1112181117.jpg
1112181117.jpg (115.81 KiB) Viewed 773 times
Yes Ed same book I have second edition from 1950.A previous owner has included a newspaper article about Dunnes hackles and Pearsalls gossamer silk. I thought that the picture would be of interest to some.

Tom

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

upstatetrout wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:43 am
The hook is an Allcocks size 12 model perfect #w 170 probably from the 40's

The white at the base of the wing is tying thread. I use white when ever I use silk floss to make the floss brighten up. The theory coming from Sunshine and the Dry Fly by J.W. Dunne who actually painted his hook shanks and used a special cellulite finish. Usually the white thread will disapear with an application of varnish. I am trying a commercial blend of tying varnish and am not happy with the result. I will probably return to using good old fashioned marine spar varnish. The head I coated with black cellire.

Tom

If you really want your floss to glow, especially when wet, underwrap with silver tinsel (a la Ray Tucker's "POP" flies) or Sulky Sliver Metallic thread. :D

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

Tom,

Very nice!

I can see the white thread wraps at the base of the "split" wings but I don't see white thread wraps directly behind the eye where he would have finished tying off the fly. Is it just me or are the thread wraps hidden?

Also, can you tell me more about Dunnes hackle?