Herman Christian

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
redietz

Re: Herman Christian

Post by redietz »

wiFlyFisher wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:55 pm

I can see the white thread wraps at the base of the "split" wings but I don't see white thread wraps directly behind the eye where he would have finished tying off the fly. Is it just me or are the thread wraps hidden?
Many of us who tie with white thread color a few inches of it with a marker before tying the head.
Bob

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

Tom mentioned he finished the head with in black cellire.
Great fly Tom, I remember this from Harry’s book....
CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

tie2fish wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:11 am
Tom ~ Thank you for the informative details. I love that hook (and Theroe will too).
:twisted: :twisted:
“Time to go fishing”

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

great thread - a LOT of interesting points brought forward here. My main interest lies in the body construction(and the Allcocks W170, of course!), which is part of a lost technique. The master tells it to me as follows: In the mid 1950's many of the "old" patterns we cherish today were being developed - but there were killer patterns developed in the 20's and 30's which were kept very close to the vest. Both the Ashy and Gallagher are still relatively well known amongst those whom seek out this type of thing. Much more obscure is the condor quill nymph and wet fly. In Eric Leiser's "Fly Tying Materials", there is a description, photo, and recipe for the "Condor Nymph" - it is to this day a deadly fly, which i use quite often. One of the key points is this:when properly stripped condor herl is wrapped over black silk, and this fly is well soaked, the body turns a translucent pinkish brown - a dead ringer for the Hendrickson. And it catches fish. Other combinations yield similar results, but this is the main color scheme / pattern. He tells me very specifically that this was known to Harry Darbee and others, but kept under wraps. One spring day in 1956, they "filled the icebox" at the gas station pool between Roscoe & Livingston Manor..... that evening at Darbee's they showed Harry the cooler, and discussed the killing fly pattern, which was the condor quill wet fly, tied with Darbee hackle of course.

For me, there is nothing better than listening to tales from days past, especially from someone who was there.

Dana
“Time to go fishing”

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Theroe wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:55 am
... For me, there is nothing better than listening to tales from days past, especially from someone who was there. ...
So true Dana ;), and by the way... where exactly are you getting you condor quills? :?

Ed

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

You need some Ed?

Tom, you told me of a “close to the vest” quill Gordon tyed with a body quill....Bustard?

Good stuff boys. And Ed if you are looking for some condor....😉. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

Eperous wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:50 pm
Theroe wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:55 am
... For me, there is nothing better than listening to tales from days past, especially from someone who was there. ...
So true Dana ;), and by the way... where exactly are you getting you condor quills? :?

Ed
I had a few pieces from Reed Tackle - occasionally I get lucky and find a snippet at a garage sale, more often than not in the Catskills. Very hard to come by. And "new" condor is NOT the same as the stuff from Reed Tackle - he had a way of stripping & dyeing which is unequaled to this day....

Dana
“Time to go fishing”

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Theroe wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:08 am
... I had a few pieces from Reed Tackle - occasionally I get lucky and find a snippet at a garage sale, more often than not in the Catskills. Very hard to come by.
Reed Tackle, Route 46, Caldwell, NJ... those were the days :D ... my buds and I would often stop there, but more likely than not mail order... I wish I had kept Reed's last catalog for old times' sake... BUT, my obsessive need to clean up, and get rid of dated materials has overwhelmed me years gone-by... :cry: :oops: :roll:

And CJ... NO, I'm not pursuing any Condor quill... Thanks... I'm not sure how, or even if I could user it properly... just busting on Dana a bit about how hard this is to come by...

Maybe we need a thread on "hard to come by tying materials" like condor and polar bear hair? :?:

Ed

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

this might be a GOOD item to work on, over the holidays........care to start us off, Ed ??
“Time to go fishing”