Leaders

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Algyros

Re: Leaders

Post by Algyros »

There are many versions of this, but I like the mono-rig: https://troutbitten.com/2016/02/03/the- ... ine-sucks/

Matt Grobert

Post by Matt Grobert »

For dries and emergers, I've used George Harvey's slack leader formula for years. I use all soft mono - I want the entire leader to move with the water surface flow, not fight it. I understand some folks feel the stiffer butt sections in a leader help it turnover, but IMO if your casting mechanics are good, the soft leader material will turn over just fine. I tie them much longer than GH did - for 3, 4 and 5wt lines - 30" of .015, 30" of .013, 30" of .011 and 30" of .009, 15"of 4X and then 20-30" of 4X, 5X or 6X (rarely) tippet to match the fly and conditions. I also tie some that are ramped up for windy conditions - Western waters and the Big D. .017, .015, .013, .011 then 15" of .009 and then tippet of 4X or 5X. With hoppers I'll just add 30" of 3X to the .009.

Matt ><)))))'>

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

Quite amazing how EVERYONE’s is different!!!
“Time to go fishing”

blackdirtfly

Post by blackdirtfly »

Thanks Matt. Love your flies. I'm gonna definately try that formula.I love this stuff.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

I think an interesting epilogue to this discussion might have to do with knotted versus knot-less leaders, and their fishing use/impact? :?:

Leader knots tend to pickup scum in/on the water, when it's present... else not an issue in my opinion.... other than that I can recall a couple/few times when my leader knots got stuck in the guides of my fly rod when playing a large trout... on more than one occasion, it came down to pointing my rod at the trout and break it off, rather than break my rod... :oops: :x

Ed

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

Eperous wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:27 pm
I think an interesting epilogue to this discussion might have to do with knotted versus knot-less leaders, and their fishing use/impact? :?:

Leader knots tend to pickup scum in/on the water, when it's present... else not an issue in my opinion.... other than that I can recall a couple/few times when my leader knots got stuck in the guides of my fly rod when playing a large trout... on more than one occasion, it came down to pointing my rod at the trout and break it off, rather than break my rod... :oops: :x

Ed
besides the stuff on the water getting caught on the knots...many times I get sloppy casting and the tippet and/or the fly get stuck on a knot if I don't clip it fine enough.

drlogik

Post by drlogik »

I've been knotting my own for a long time also. I settled on a 70/30 setup for anything 9 feet or longer and 60/20/20 for 7 1/2 feet. 70% butt and mid section and 30% lower mid section and tippet. This presents well and also handles the wind. When I cast really long leaders at 12 - 14 feet that aggressive taper does turn over better for me.

I use the supplest butt and mid I can find. I follow George Humphrey's thoughts on soft mono. I used to use Dai Riki Velvet when it was still available but have settled on Maxima Chameleon or Froghair recently depending on water. I think soft butt and mid mono turns over better than hard mono.
http://www.DrLogik.com
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>