Shadow box flies

Anything fly tying...
Eperous

Shadow box flies

Post by Eperous »

So... now I'm wondering about shadow boxes and flies, not so much the flies but the shadow boxes themselves? :?

Let me say upfront that I am NOT interested/invested in the monetary value of any shadow box... decades ago if $ was my primary motivator, I would have taken advantage of career choices offered me to move out of the Catskills, maybe even spend a couple years overseas for my company... I chose not to pursue those paths, still splitting firewood here in the Cats where I retired....

Duly noted, I was recently asked about some of my Fran Betters' dry flies that I had mounted, and couldn't help but notice the quality of the shadow box containing these flies, built by the late Don Leyden of Donmar Studio... Leyden's work was first rate, and he was involved in numerous conservation organizations, plus the CFFC&M where piscatorial regional history is preserved....

So here's my question... as a collector of flies/art--- for the pure joy of looking at these, wondering about fish caught on various patterns--- how many folks are interested in the art form these hand-made creations represent? :?:

Ed

ibookje

Re: Shadow box flies

Post by ibookje »

If done tastefully shadow boxes can be very nice.
Recently I acquired a shadow box framed & tied by the Californian tier Darwin Atkin.

gt05254

Post by gt05254 »

Very into shadowboxes. here's one I just did with Fulsher, Krom and Warren flies

Actually did several blog posts about shadowboxes:

https://theriverscourse.blogspot.com/20 ... inish.html

https://theriverscourse.blogspot.com/20 ... michi.html

https://theriverscourse.blogspot.com/20 ... useum.html

Gary

By the way, the Atlantic Salmon Museum in Doaktown, NB, Canada just received MORE William Cushner framings. I am sure they now have the most extensive collection of his framings on the planet. I was just there the other day; they are nothing short of stunning.

Ted Patlen does incredible shadow boxes.

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Gorgeous Gary... :D

I have a few Keith Fulsher Thunder Creek's that were framed locally for our TU chapter fund raising event... once I had the opportunity to take Keith up to the headwaters of the Neversink, to fish for brook trout when he spoke at our TU chapter that evening... a special outing, always remembered...

Ed

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish »

Despite the aesthetic objections of some, I would venture that shadowboxes well done are an art form as much as a craft. Yeah, you need craft materials and tools and even old drafting kits (very cool 8-) ), but you also need an innate sense of proportion and spatial placement, not to mention the "touch" required to best juxtapose colors, optimize your choice of fonts, and even pick the best mat board bevel angles.

Even though the work of Darwin Atkin is new to me, it's readily apparent that he is a true artist. Coming from folks like that, shadowboxes are -- in my opinion -- objects of collectible art simply on the merits of their beauty. It just makes me feel good to look at them.

Bishthefish1

Post by Bishthefish1 »

Hi all

I made one some time ago to hang in my tying room

It is quite basic I know but for a 1st attempt I think it works.

Alistair
Attachments
Adams flies shadow box
Adams flies shadow box
BA6FDF46-660C-4065-8014-26474C563527.jpeg (88.04 KiB) Viewed 540 times
'Most anglers spend their lives making rules for trout,
and trout spend theirs breaking them'
- George Aston

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Bishthefish1 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:57 pm
... It is quite basic I know but for a 1st attempt I think it works.
Alistair... works fine for me... thanks for posting....

Ed

gt05254

Post by gt05254 »

Very nice, Alistair!!
Gary

Bishthefish1

Post by Bishthefish1 »

Thanks Gents
'Most anglers spend their lives making rules for trout,
and trout spend theirs breaking them'
- George Aston

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

Alistair
I like your style: lighter matting and wood, to make your patterns the center piece - very nice!
Good to see you posting !!

Dana
“Time to go fishing”