Saturday opener

catskilljohn

Saturday opener

Post by catskilljohn »

Saturday the 6th was my opener, while the rest of NY got an earlier start on Monday the 1st.
It snowed on Friday night, about .75 of an inch of heavy ground cover. I made my way to the little creek I love early in the morning, and found the flows to be normal, not at all like last years opener.
Not wanting to leave the proverbial “trail of breadcrumbs” to my good spots, I walked the banks at the waters edge to reach the place I start every years fishing.
34* air and 44 water temps, aside from the gurgling of stream water it was eerily quiet.
Fishing the same fly as last year, a size 6 black stonefly nymph, I cast into the fast water above the productive spot, with high hopes but limited confidence. Early season in the Catskills is always dicey, and conditions weren’t optimum.
When I felt the tug, it was as if I was feeling it for the first time. Oh how winter erases the memories of the pull of a trout against a fly rod! The fish wasn’t big at 11”, but it was wild as I expected, unlike the ones thrown into the streams downriver by the hundreds, like chicken feed into the rooster pen. In a very short time I had him in the net. Retelling the story to a friend later in the day, he remarked he would rather catch one wild fish than “100 stocked ones”. I think he’s right.
I fished for 45 minutes, and then made the “rounds” to some more places just to see how the Catskill winter treated the creek.
It’s been a while, a seemingly extra long while since I have been here, and it felt good. CJ
Attachments
FDD8E792-BB0B-4B43-BEEF-84A91821F9DD.jpeg
FDD8E792-BB0B-4B43-BEEF-84A91821F9DD.jpeg (369.47 KiB) Viewed 649 times
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

JoeCz

Re: Saturday opener

Post by JoeCz »

CJ, Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a great opener. I haven't gotten out yet myself. Getting darn itchy, though!

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Nicely done! ;)

Algyros

Post by Algyros »

I agree that one native brown is worth a stocking truck load of pets.

Sounds like a fulfilling first outing, John.

Vance

Re: Big Flatbrook

Post by Vance »

Hi Everyone, Just a fast note. Fished BFB today and could not keep the trout off my flies. I quit counting after fifteen trout caught. Altogether I probably caught 25 to 27 trout today. I fished 2 pheasant tail flies. The point flybead head size 14 and the dropper size 16 bead head. I used a strike indicator. If it was’t for the indicator I would never have felt the take. The Big Flatbrook is loaded with fish and All Of The Fish Were In Fast water. I started about 100 yards above Werner Pool and fished about 100 yards going up stream. If you are going to fish BFB hit the fast water. I was lucky as I only lost two flies to the trees that probably jumped in the way of my line. I know the trees move and someday I’ll see them move. Every one have a good day, Bill The mailman. PS. I fished from 2:00 to 4:00. Water at a great level and very clear.

tailwater

Post by tailwater »

So nice to read a report without having to see the fish to prove you caught them. There is just something about pheasant tail flies. I have even started tying them into the 20's.

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hi Tailwater, Your eyes have got to be better then mine. I don’t have a camera and I do not carry a net. What the heck, if they get off so be it. It’s the fight which is important and the trout in BFB fought like crazy. The sky was overcast and no rain. I had the whole stream to myself. From the bridge down to Werner’s hole. I could not believe that I was the only one fishing. I would love to go back today but I have to go back home to Manahawkin. Bill the mailman

tailwater

Post by tailwater »

I also do not have a camera or a net. The little PT's are a little easier to tie on a special 3x long hook.

andre

Post by andre »

tailwater wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:13 am
So nice to read a report without having to see the fish to prove you caught them. There is just something about pheasant tail flies. I have even started tying them into the 20's.
Don’t think folks post pics to prove they caught them. I know I like to see pics and believe that is why most people post them, so we can enjoy them

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

andre wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:51 pm
...Don’t think folks post pics to prove they caught them. I know I like to see pics and believe that is why most people post them, so we can enjoy them
Agreed... who doesn't enjoy looking at trout? ;)

When I'm out fishing, I'm always checking out nature around me... the scenery, the setting wondering about it... pondering what I observe.... looking for bugs, signs of wildlife, and everything else that will share its environment with me... I feel I'm a visitor, and enjoy capturing images to bring back home and look at in the future...

Here's a photo of a bow I caught earlier this week... as I got ready to release it, I noticed its anal and ventral fins were worn...

Bow with worn fins.JPG
Bow with worn fins.JPG (119.22 KiB) Viewed 349 times

I couldn't help but wonder... was this rainbow building a redd close by, trying to spawn? Were its fins a tad worn from navigating its way up the creek, pushing itself over gravel? I don't like to consider myself a user of nature, but rather someone who studies it, works to understand and protect it...

If one doesn't want photos of fish, don't carry a camera... I'd be lost without mine... :)

Ed