Hewitt's Neversink Skater

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Theroe

Re: Hewitt's Neversink Skater

Post by Theroe » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:34 am

I cant fathom someone, especially a fishing/hunting/outdoors type club, who would not want to preserve history.....but who knows? Maybe they had an unpleasant experience....

this would be very nice to see..
“Time to go fishing”

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:56 am

No worries, guys: a thoughtful and caring benefactor had the prescience to digitize the Hewitt film--and about a year and a half ago, another equally thoughtful and caring person sent me a copy. It arrived just as I was on my way to Europe for ten days to work on a project, and when I got home there was another project to attend to, and by then the envelope with the film had been put aside and buried under papers.

Then CJ's post reminded me: I have the bloody film!--I just needed to find it, which I did after about 20 minutes--popped it into the computer and lo--there was Hewitt fishing Skaters on the Niversink.

The film is short--about 5 minutes--filmed with Kodachrome, so the colors are deeply saturated. There's a beautiful sequence of Hewitt skating the fly very fast--about eight or ten feet before he gets a big slashing strike. Very impressive.

The film was produced by Ashaway, which presumably owns the copyright--so I'll look into getting a release, or reassignment, so that we can make the film available to others. Meanwhile, I have attached a couple of screenshots, which would fall into the category of fair use, as they are small moments in the film.

The skaters Hewitt used were pretty big--none less than 2 inches across, from what I can see. His rod was a Garrison--and his reel was his own.

bb

chase-da-dog

Post by chase-da-dog » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:40 am

That is an amazing piece of history you have ! I hope that you're able to make it available to interested members soon.

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:45 am

bb... thanks for posting those photos... It would be a neat addition to the Time and The Valleys Museum in Grahamsville, NY--- near Hewitt's Catskill waters--- or the CFFC&M in LM, if a copy could ever be gotten to them...

Ed

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:46 am

bearbutt wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:56 am

The film was produced by Ashaway, which presumably owns the copyright--so I'll look into getting a release, or reassignment, so that we can make the film available to others.

Correction: the film was produced by Martin Bovey, but distributed by Ashaway. Martin specialized in films relating to the outdoors, so I am trying to track down his son, Martin Jr., to see if we can get a release.

Yes, Ed, I'd like to see the film in all the Catskill museums--it's one of those things that's beautifully period-specific, and also reveals a very niche aspect of angling history--.

I'll update you when I know more.

Does anyone know who oversees the catalogue/database of objects in the CFFM?

bb

chase-da-dog

Post by chase-da-dog » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:21 pm

I would reach out to Mike Canazon or Erin Phalen.

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:16 pm

bb, you know I will have my laptop / computer up North. All you need is to put on a USB drive. It will be fun to watch while drinking cheap wine. :D

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:40 pm

The screen shots reek of history; I would love to be able to watch it in its entirety.

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:39 pm

wiFlyFisher wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:16 pm
bb, you know I will have my laptop / computer up North. All you need is to put on a USB drive. It will be fun to watch while drinking cheap wine. :D
None of that overextracted and cloying rotgut--thank you. If I can persuade Phil to come, we will teach you when a decent Bordeaux with backbone and subtlety is like. And yes, I'll bring my computer....\

bb

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:42 pm

St.Froid wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:40 pm
The screen shots reek of history; .

Yes, history on so many levels; the angler; the fly; the Neversink; old guys smoking pipes; the film stock; the cinematography--it's a little like Lee Wulff on the Minipi, only better.

I just need to find Bovey.....and convince him it's for a good cause....

bb