tie2fish has passed

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
redietz

tie2fish has passed

Post by redietz » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:35 am

This won't come as news to those of you who are also members of the Flymph Forum, which seems to be be most of the regulars here, but I just learned it. Bill Shuck, a regular contributer to this forum with the handle tie2fish, passed away Thursday night.

He will be greatly missed (and not just because he was the other half of the Maryland contingent on this board.)
Bob

Eperous

Re: tie2fish has passed

Post by Eperous » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:35 am

Very sad news.... I met Bill at Flyfest... his photography of flies always brightened my day, quite the gifted tyer... and a pleasure to trade correspondence with...

FYI, scroll down: https://www.sparsegreymatter.com/viewto ... 3&start=20

Condolences to his family and friends....

Ed

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:23 am

Well, damn--so sorry to hear this news.

Early on, when I started the Carrie Stevens project, Bill was super helpful in assisting my ongoing quest for period-correct materials--8x hooks and vintage tinsels especially--and his calm guidance helped immeasurably. I met him once, last year in Roscoe, and he was kind, thoughtful, and a little rascally in recountiing history--a real pragmatist. I wish I had gotten to know him better. Hell be missed.

bb

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:52 am

very sad news indeed...

northcountryman

Post by northcountryman » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:39 pm

Very sorry to hear that :cry:

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:57 pm

Back in February, Bill mailed me several very nicely tied flies that he submitted to be included in the "Catskills book" that Stackpole assigned to me to write. The flies were great, and the information he included in correspondence was quite thorough and complete. I got back to Bill and let him know that three of his flies out of the several he tied for me will be appearing in the book. (There's 50 flies in the book (per Stackpole's specs) and three of those will be Bills).

-About three weeks ago, Bill sent me a message wondering if I still planned to include his flies in the book. I assured him that indeed nothing had changed and they will appear in the book's pages but it will be sometime before the book sees daylight. I mentioned to him that publishing a book is a painfully slow process. I'll be submitting it to the publisher well before the deadline---I'm closing in on completing it, a good four months ahead of deadline.

-He was pleased with my response and mentioned to me that he had hoped that the flies will appear in my book because "they are the last flies I tied, due to an illness." That worried me, but he didn't give details when I asked him about his illness.

-Only now did I learn here he passed away. It will be an honor to include Bill's flies (the last few he tied), and his comments, in the book.

--MV
Follow me on Twitter

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:45 am

Sad news.

It's great his flies will appear in Mike's upcoming book. A little piece of himself and his art will live on.

rjj
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying