Carp = the other Salmon

Largemouth, Smallmouth, Panfish, Pickerel, and all other warm water fishing.
HookI

Carp = the other Salmon

Post by HookI »

It’s something that has crossed my mind lately . I have a lot of availability being shoreline & boat . Resivour ,creeks and ponds . Everything local NY , NJ If I can avoid the Red Army bait guys by camo outfit and stealth I know I have a chance of some pretty good hook ups . My only experience with the fly rod is Bone fishing the Bahamas . Some have used that as a guide . Redfish in Florida also is a similar target .
Any thoughts or pass a long tips are very much welcome . Thanks the other Chuck
If it has fins I want to catch it .

njcatchrelease

Re: Carp = the other Salmon

Post by njcatchrelease »

I'm subscribed to this thread as I have been thinking of targeting carp on the fly this year too.

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hi, Some of the best places to catch carp is the Delaware River from the bridge at Milford,Pa. upstream above the first rapids. You will need a 10 horse motor to get above the rapids. To get through the rapids start on the left side and mostly work across the current towards the Jersey side...The water flattens out and the fishing is great for smallmouths,walleye and carp. In the late spring and summer fish along the edges for carp. I have caught some really big carp by mistake when fishing for walleyes. The fishing is great just about all the way up to Port Jervis. When I lived in Shohola,Pa my dog (German Shepard) and I would fishthe Delaware a lot. In the hot summer she would jump in the water to get cooled off. It was fun to watch her until she would get back into the boat and shake her self off. A lot of times you would see nobody on the river but tubers coming down. The big D. has a lot of walleyes and are delisous to eat. I have fond memories of my fishing the big D. Bill the mailman

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease »

Vance wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:37 pm
Hi, Some of the best places to catch carp is the Delaware River from the bridge at Milford,Pa. upstream above the first rapids. You will need a 10 horse motor to get above the rapids. To get through the rapids start on the left side and mostly work across the current towards the Jersey side...The water flattens out and the fishing is great for smallmouths,walleye and carp. In the late spring and summer fish along the edges for carp. I have caught some really big carp by mistake when fishing for walleyes. The fishing is great just about all the way up to Port Jervis. When I lived in Shohola,Pa my dog (German Shepard) and I would fishthe Delaware a lot. In the hot summer she would jump in the water to get cooled off. It was fun to watch her until she would get back into the boat and shake her self off. A lot of times you would see nobody on the river but tubers coming down. The big D. has a lot of walleyes and are delisous to eat. I have fond memories of my fishing the big D. Bill the mailman
What are you using for walleye in the Big D, lures or bait. I definitely want to target them and smallies on the Delaware this year.

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

You will not go wrong with an olive woolly bugger....... Or a nightcrawler! :lol: :lol:
“Time to go fishing”

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hi, I would use a motor oil colored plastic worm about 6inches long. I would cast it up stream and let it drift down to the boat. Where the Sawkill comes into the D. up stream there was a tree laying in the water and the walleyes would lay along the tree in about 3 to5feet of water. Oh, I would put the worm on a weighted jig head cast upstream and let it bounce along the bottom. Bring plenty of worms and jigs because you will loose some. Look in the trees for Bald Eagles a long that stretch of the Big D. Bill the mailman

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease »

Vance wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:44 am
Hi, I would use a motor oil colored plastic worm about 6inches long. I would cast it up stream and let it drift down to the boat. Where the Sawkill comes into the D. up stream there was a tree laying in the water and the walleyes would lay along the tree in about 3 to5feet of water. Oh, I would put the worm on a weighted jig head cast upstream and let it bounce along the bottom. Bring plenty of worms and jigs because you will loose some. Look in the trees for Bald Eagles a long that stretch of the Big D. Bill the mailman
I haven't fished the Delaware in that area before, I would be fishing from shore or my kayak. Do you know if there is shore access in that area? I'll have do to some scouting of the area soon.

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hi, From above Milford down to the gap is owned by the NPS(national park service). You can put in by the Milford beach just above the Milford bridge( it was called Bob’s beach at one time) To get there if in Jersey go across bridge going toward Milford take your first right you are now on Rte.209 and then take your right to the end turn right and you will wind up at the parking lot on your right. They have a good boat ramp and plenty of parking. Since it is owned by the park service you will probably have tp pay for going in and using the area. In a kyack you can fish way down stream to the island and up to the rapids. If you need more info just let me know. Bill the mailman. I lived about 6 miles west of Milford off of rte6. Now I live in South Jersey. Bill Vance

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hi, I for got. After you cross the D. take right onto Rte.209 towards Milford then take your first right off of Rte.209 to get to the beach. If you go across the Sawkill bridge you went to far turn around and try again. Back in the late 70’s or early 80’s Pa. and NY stocked the big D. From Port Jersis upstream to just below Handcock with one million two hundred thousand Walleye fingerlings. So if even 10% of them lived it is still over one hundred thousand and then you have natural reproduction. There are a lot of Walleyes in the Big D. Theroe probably knows about the Big D. Bill Vance

HookI

Post by HookI »

I did a few with some zonker strips and a little bit larger Bone fish fly & some ultra fine hair
Attachments
1E0B406F-7EBF-4482-BD65-57F86EA4C5FD.jpeg
1E0B406F-7EBF-4482-BD65-57F86EA4C5FD.jpeg (76.97 KiB) Viewed 4976 times
95827933-526D-4110-991E-7ACA0FF5B871.jpeg
95827933-526D-4110-991E-7ACA0FF5B871.jpeg (157.75 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
C1FFE138-5DC3-4A99-9FDD-E2355F7C49DD.jpeg
C1FFE138-5DC3-4A99-9FDD-E2355F7C49DD.jpeg (210.6 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
If it has fins I want to catch it .