A question about Ducks

Anything fly tying...
bearbutt

Re: A question about Ducks

Post by bearbutt »

Wow--thanks, Gary, the barring on those Hooded Mergansers is unreal. I guess I have another bird for my friend to chase next season, lol!--

When you stop and think about it, ducks don't get nearly as much attention as they deserve by most tiers--maybe because they are not a big part of the commercial supply chain--you need a friend who is a good wingshot, if you're not already one yourself.

bb

gt05254

Post by gt05254 »

They do get a lot of attention among us salmon fly tyers, for sure. And thank heavens for generous hunting friends!
Gary

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

gt05254 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:25 pm
They do get a lot of attention among us salmon fly tyers, for sure. And thank heavens for generous hunting friends!
Yes to both of those things!--I guess that's why I said "most tiers" as the number of salmon fly tiers, as least here in the US, isn't what it used to be--commensurate with the salmon runs not being what they used to be--which is unfortunate on both counts. Even in places like Scotland (I was in Kelso last fall) the numbers are down, and the stockists all had a worrisome look on their faces. Likewise the Ghillies. And then there are tiers like the late Jack Gartside, who said even if there were no fish to catch, he'd still tie flies.

bb

gt05254

Post by gt05254 »

I put in a little rant at the end of my most recent blog post. I fish for Atlantic salmon far more than most Americans (up to 60+ days per year)...I went more than a year between fish. The rant is here: https://theriverscourse.blogspot.com/20 ... 19and.html.

didn't really mean to hijack this thread. Sorry about that! Back to ducks!

Gary

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

gt05254 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:24 pm
... I fish for Atlantic salmon far more than most Americans (up to 60+ days per year)...I went more than a year between fish. ...
Couldn't help but comment... I have a good friend, who is a very good trout fisher--- as in he's often successful on the Delaware system for very nice trout, but is stuck on dry flies... anyway, he went Atlantic salmon fishing for the first time this year, up on public water in Nova Scotia and landed two nice salmon, while pricking a couple others... I told him how lucky he was, but it took him a bit--- after the fact--- to realize that...

Ed

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

Since we're talking about feathers were are evlers feathers located. I think they are on the back.