"Catskill Heritage Fly Tiers" group gathering

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
mikevalla

"Catskill Heritage Fly Tiers" group gathering

Post by mikevalla »

We're planning a gathering in the fall----Just an FYI. The museum has offered their place as a venue---but that will be decided upon in the future, as things progress

"Catskill Heritage Fly Tiers" group is a little different in our focus than the "Catskill Fly Tyers Guild." It's not for everyone, during the "gatherings."

Think Civil War re-enactments---that will help clarify. No one shows up with a modern Beretta A400 shotgun during the re-enactment gathering---they show up with antique muzzle loaders. However, those same individuals might indeed grab their Beretta when grouse hunting during their "real time" lives---outside of the re-enactment.

Like I mentioned in the thread below, it's a very anachronistic group---at least when we meet and tie "the old stuff." There's a set of guidelines and "rules" employed when we meet and tie flies, just as is true with other re-enactments.

Just for quick examples
:

With a couple of exceptions (like tying threads), no vises or other tool models or materials, head treatments etc. can be used during the gathering if they were not in existence in 1969 or before. I will now use an antique Jeweler's vise, like Rube Cross used. Others have used a Thompson Model A, Herter's vises, Model B, or old Rotary vise etc. Some of us (like me)--have a few old vises that can be loaned out. No modern genetic hackle---suffer!.

No bobbins are used although Chase bobbins were around then. Suffer a bit, like the other Catskill-School tiers did LOL--

A complete list of sanctioned tools and materials is being updated. It's a lot of fun--
CHFT.jpg
CHFT.jpg (63.85 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
Follow me on Twitter

Theroe

Re: "Catskill Heritage Fly Tiers" group gathering

Post by Theroe »

Very nice Mike – I hope I can make this gathering. If it works out I will bring the following, NONE of which have ever left my house:
1. The vintage hook book - thousands of old models.
2. The ALLCOCKS book - Over 10,000 Allcock hooks.
3. Darbee hackle book - over two dozen pristine, rare examples of his very best birds. Includes Hackle from Frank Kuttner and Doc Fried.
4. Box of miscellaneous Darbee hackle – I should have enough for everybody to use some and tie flies with.

If there’s anything else anyone can think of that we would need, just let me know. I should have it somewhere!!

Dana
“Time to go fishing”

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

mikevalla wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:09 am
... No bobbins are used although Chase bobbins were around then. Suffer a bit, like the other Catskill-School tiers did LOL--

A complete list of sanctioned tools and materials is being updated. It's a lot of fun--
I'll be checking on that list... maybe us Noll "kids" will get some "considerations?"... :? :roll: :|

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Common questions RE: Catskill Heritage Fly Tiers group:

Dues: $00.00
Officers: None
Newsletter: None
Glossy Literature: None
Meetings: When we decide
Meeting places: Staggered around the area--always looking for a place to flop ourselves---
Follow me on Twitter

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

I would love for this to happen ...especially the reenactment....period dress, and accruements. complete walk in the past...

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout »

Ok I will bring the cannon and muskets!!

Tom

Jay Wirth

Post by Jay Wirth »

I would love to participate in this.
“Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also to accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people.”

Arlo Guthrie

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

It will be a lot of fun----will give us all a reminder of "what we all had to tie with" in 1960's into late 70's---let alone what the "old school Catskill icons" tied with. Those darn Noll kits---how did we all do it! The Indian capes were a bit better than the Indian capes sold today---but nothing like all the genetic hackle.

I'm working on a document of "sanctioned tools and materials". Tying without a bobbin isn't all that bad\. An easy hook-up is the method Helen Shaw used (that's why I use). If you have her book you'll see those little rubber washers that hold the thread taught. I'll provide some alternatives to bobbins in the specs list.

The Museum offered their facility---(unsolicited from them) but gatherings don't have to be held in the Catskills---we can rotate them around.

One thing I've always thought important with such an endeavor:

Don't commercialize the group---don't solicit members---let it happen naturally without shoving a sign-up sheet in front of noses--- don't get wrapped up in things like dues and newsletters, and too much formality--this is supposed to be FUN- :) :)

-MV
Follow me on Twitter

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Eperous wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:18 pm
mikevalla wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:09 am
... No bobbins are used although Chase bobbins were around then. Suffer a bit, like the other Catskill-School tiers did LOL--

I'll be checking on that list... maybe us Noll "kids" will get some "considerations?"... :? :roll: :|
Ed is in luck!----Since Esopus Tier Ray Smith used a Chase Bobbin----that model is allowed! Or any model of that vintage (in existence in the mid-1960s of before)

I have two--- (So Ed can borrow one of mine)--and they're frequently available on Ebay. The Chase was the gold standard of bobbins---- :lol: (There's a pic of one in my Tying Catskill Style Dry Flies book
Follow me on Twitter

wiFlyFisher

Post by wiFlyFisher »

I have been tying a lot of soft hackle pattersn this Winter with just silk thread and no bobbin. The key I find is having good wax that really grips. I snip off about 12" of silk thread (Pearsall's or YLI) and use Bailey's cake wax. It works great and no bobbin needed.

So MV, what wax did the old Catskill fly tiers use?