Califon NJ Sparse Grey Matter event

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
The Novice Returns

Califon NJ Sparse Grey Matter event

Post by The Novice Returns »

Any info?
"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it." --Arnold Gingrich

Barleywine

Re: Califon NJ Sparse Grey Matter event

Post by Barleywine »

Just checked Shannon's website, and it looks like the fest is on Sunday, Feb. 23rd.

https://www.shannonsflytackle.com/
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx

The Novice Returns

Thanks, see you there.
"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it." --Arnold Gingrich

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Thanks... thinking about this now--- though a long drive 4 me... and the Flyfest....

Ed

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hello everyone, I was thinking about going to the Fly Fest in Califon. Shannon’s is about one and a half hours away from where I live. Nobody will know me and I will not know anyone there. So we should all put name tags on our shirts. I go by Bill the mailman actual name is William Vance. My name tag will say Bill the mailman and underneath my name Bill Vance. Is this a good idea? Like catskill John, Theroe, Eperous, etc. I would not know them if I tripped over them. There are so many on SGM that I have know Idea who they actually are. Bill the mailman

The Novice Returns

What if they gave a fly tying event and no one showed up?
That was the case this morning, the most notable no shows being the sponsors!
I was there b’twn 10 & 12 today.
Better luck next year.

andre

Post by andre »

I was going to go but something came up. Were there a bunch of tiers there at least? When you say sponsors do you mean Shannons?

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

I was there from 10:00 to 2:00, tying at a table on the wall that is to your right as you walk in. Plain olive baseball cap and a mostly gray beard. Hey that really narrows it down in this crowd! :lol:

Jim from Shannon's was there. I didn't see anybody from Dette's.

Much less attended than other years, but I still thought that it was an enjoyable event. Almost everyone that was there tyed, and I picked up one new pattern that I'll be trying.

I thought that the only downside was giving up a beautiful fishing day with sunshine and temperatures near 60 degrees. The weather conditions at Flyfest next weekend will probably not leave me feeling so conflicted.

–Chuck
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx

The Novice Returns

andre wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:48 pm
I was going to go but something came up. Were there a bunch of tiers there at least? When you say sponsors do you mean Shannons?
I mean Shannon’s and Dette’s.
There were tiers there, mostly affiliated with various local TU’s.

redietz

Post by redietz »

Barleywine wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:36 pm
Much less attended than other years, but I still thought that it was an enjoyable event. Almost everyone that was there tyed, and I picked up one new pattern that I'll be trying.
Given the warmer weather we've been having, maybe a lot of people were fishing instead.
Bob