Betters Haystack

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
twistedtippet

Re: Betters Haystack

Post by twistedtippet »

bearbutt wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:49 pm
twistedtippet wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:25 pm
[
As you age you will learn to put some thought into what you espouse.
I'd guess he's already put some good thought into what he espoused, as I agree with him; and I'm 63. Fran's underthread design is what makes his ties different from so many that came after him--look at the box of Haystacks Fran tied I posted above. It's the same with Fran's Usuals.

As for cane v graphite--for anything inside of 50 feet, I'll take bamboo any day.

bb
bb
When you grow up you'll understand what I said.
tt

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

twistedtippet wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:51 pm

bb
tt
LOL--I'm trying hard to grow down--

Cheers,
bb

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

twistedtippet wrote:
bearbutt wrote:
twistedtippet wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:25 pm
[
As you age you will learn to put some thought into what you espouse.
I'd guess he's already put some good thought into what he espoused, as I agree with him; and I'm 63. Fran's underthread design is what makes his ties different from so many that came after him--look at the box of Haystacks Fran tied I posted above. It's the same with Fran's Usuals.

As for cane v graphite--for anything inside of 50 feet, I'll take bamboo any day.

bb
bb
tt
What I always liked about this board is participants could post opinions, even if they were different than others, without someone putting down that individual... :cry:

Ed

squish67

Post by squish67 »

Agreed, Ed! :roll: :roll:

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

Eperous wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:48 pm
twistedtippet wrote:
bearbutt wrote:

bb
bb
tt
What I always liked about this board is participants could post opinions, even if they were different than others, without someone putting down that individual... :cry:

Ed
AS it SHOULD be.........
“Time to go fishing”

SamsonCane

Post by SamsonCane »

I do love glass, but I think that's where it should have stopped. If we had kept refining glass there would have been no need for graphite- today's glass can compare to any graphite.

twistedtippet

Post by twistedtippet »

WELL I guess I got some POOP started here. I only was trying to tell the lad not to be so opinionated with so little experience when it comes to the dressing of patterns, and the materials fly rods are made of. I've been tying flies for more than 50 years and the one thing I've learned is "everything works sometimes and sometimes nothing works. I also have some great cane rods,(love my Jon Parkers) but also some great graphite and glass rods and they each are superior for different purposes. So with that I'll GO AWAY.
tt

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

twistedtippet wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:00 pm
So with that I'll GO AWAY.
I don't think that was suggested, but perhaps consider how you say what you say... :|

Ed

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid »

SamsonCane wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:00 pm
Right. That's how I was taught to tie it and I don't really like the looks of the Usuals with orange dubbing. The original way is the better way, sort of like fly rods- I don't think anyone who has ever cast a top-quality Tonkin or bamboo rod has any ground to argue that graphite/glass is better. The complaints of "too slow" or "too fragile" are simply because they have only ever used a Montague or H-I. It's really a shame that graphite was ever invented.
Well, some of us, me, who rely on the gods of farming for my meager income are terribly appreciative of the graphite rod and it's price point. Not everyone is blessed with the discretionary funds needed to purchase your 'top quality' Tonkin cane.

...as for the OP, I don't fish dries very often but when I do it's almost always a Haystack. If it isn't a Haystack it will be another Better's design: the Ausable Bomber.

Brk Trt

Post by Brk Trt »

Well, some of us, me, who rely on the gods of farming for my meager income are terribly appreciative of the graphite rod and it's price point. Not everyone is blessed with the discretionary funds needed to purchase your 'top quality' Tonkin cane.

...as for the OP, I don't fish dries very often but when I do it's almost always a Haystack. If it isn't a Haystack it will be another Better's design: the Ausable Bomber.

I agree

Alan