Not tying now

Anything fly tying...
TheIndian

Not tying now

Post by TheIndian »

Hey,
I don't tie flies and was wondering what brands you guys like the best. I bought a pair of Bloody Maris from LL Bean recently and the hackle disintegrated on one after about a half hour of casting. Yes, it was a rocky, swift moving creek and it may have taken a beating but just wanted to get some feedback. How about Umpqua? Others? Still new to fly fishing. Thanks a lot!
Chris
Don't take it for granite, it's a gneiss day.

Theroe

Re: Not tying now

Post by Theroe »

Chris
I don’t know where you live, or what and when you’re fishing for, BUT: Try the Dette shop, sponsor of this site. Joe uses all good tyers, hence his flies are all first rate.

Just my two cents
Dana
“Time to go fishing”

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

Chris, Flies bought from the Dette Shop are a far better entity than the flies of Orvis, LLbean, Bass Pro, etc....

a local fly shop is the place to shop for well tied flies...

where are you located

TheIndian

Post by TheIndian »

Thanks Dana and Ted...I'm on it! The Dette Shop it is.
Hoping to find a Brook Trout with all those deep, dark, rich colors anywhere between the Catskills and the Adirondacks. :lol:

TheIndian

Post by TheIndian »

And it's in Livingston manner...that's great! I'm there quite often as a volunteer in the Catskills...Balsam Lake Mountain Fire Tower.
Do you guys know if the shop is actually open to the public yet?...website says curbside pickup only.
Good to know..thx again.

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn »

I was there last weekend, and while I did go in the shop, we played it safe with masks and stayed apart (I usually hug those guys!) I also didn’t “touch” anything, rather they chose my items and bagged them for me.
They do a huge mail order business, you may just want to call and have them send them out. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

TheIndian

Post by TheIndian »

Thx CatskillJohn. Oh I did haha. Ordered a bunch of stuff from their website. Can’t wait. Thx.
Chris

Laminarman

Post by Laminarman »

I was in another fly shop Thursday and I overheard the owner tell a guide "I don't know what he does, but Joe just sells the hell out of flies.." Reputation and quality will sell. I prefer his flies over other shops flies for the most part, plus the service is very good.

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

AND, they carry many patterns developed in the shop, for the local waters and hatches. Two of my favorites are the Dette Iso nymph, and Conover.

If you tie on their isonichia nymph and dont catch fish, the problem will be on the opposite end of the line........ :D :D :D
“Time to go fishing”

TheIndian

Post by TheIndian »

Isonichia? Haha ok will have to try.
Here's what I got...including the Dr. Slick case. Nice stuff. One copper John was the wrong size I believe but that's fine...a lot to learn yet on the upstream side of the rod LOL. While fishing I lost one Dark Edson Tiger and a Copper John...no surprise there LOL.
Thanks again for the advice everyone 8-)
Attachments
Dette.jpeg
Dette.jpeg (85.48 KiB) Viewed 485 times