Gordon Game. REVISED RULES.

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
cwfly

Gordon Game. REVISED RULES.

Post by cwfly » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:15 pm

Mr. Valla’s generosity has inspired me to finally move along some salmon hooks that will never find their way to the jaws of one of my vises. These hooks were either purchased by me or more likely given to me and none are more recent than the 1970’s. Some are probably from the 1960’s and perhaps a decade earlier. Singles and doubles in different sizes.

However, here’s the rub. I am not selling them. I will mail them to the first person who posts here – online - the correct answers to ALL of the following questions. Only one shot per person – this isn’t trap shooting – until I modify that rule or other rules. Well, go ahead, take more than one guess and in the end the winner probably will not have to get all the answers. For all I care, two or more of you can scheme behind the scenes and submit “one” answer and then if you win divvy up the hooks after I mail them.

1. Name the school, and the town or city it was in, that Theodore Gordon entered in late August of 1868.

2. What college did Theodore Gordon’s father, Theodore attend?

3. What college did Theodore Gordon’s uncle Clarence Gordon attend?

4. What was Gordon’s maternal grandmother’s name (the woman that Fanny Gordon lived with in Pittsburgh (no, reader, she was not an orphan when she met and married Gordon’s father), and where was she born?

5. What business was Gordon’s maternal grandfather engaged in in Pittsburgh before his early death in August, 1839?

6. What was the name of Gordon’s favorite dog? You know the one, it’s in the photograph probably taken in Savannah with the pin-striped suit, cigar and potted palm.

I could keep going but you would all fall asleep or return to more interesting pursuits. Contest ends, absent a winner beforehand, at midnight, January 13, 2018.

The winner will be announced, if I remember, sometime on January 14, 2018.
Charlie

Snapshot of hooks follows:
Last edited by cwfly on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Theroe

Re: Gordon Game. Trade salmon hooks for correct answers.

Post by Theroe » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:13 pm

Wow Charlie !!!! great snow day idea. You made a lot of keyboards rattle this afternoon :D :D
“Time to go fishing”

cwfly

Re: Gordon Game. Trade salmon hooks for correct answers.

Post by cwfly » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:33 pm

Well, we'll see how much interest there is.
Pretty ugly day yesterday, at least here in Connecticut and likely worse elsewhere.
Fortunately no pipes have frozen - yet.
Perhaps I'll cook up a few clues in the next couple of days.
Questions 3 and 6 are pretty easy.

cwfly

Re: Gordon Game. REVISED RULES.

Post by cwfly » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:13 am

It was gently suggested to me that it's more fun to tie flies than do research.

Consequently, it was likely the salmon hooks would remain with me. So, my game, my rules
and they have just changed.

The first person to post ANY TWO correct answers wins the hooks and I'll then supply the balance of the answers.

Charlie

cwfly

Post by cwfly » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:20 pm

A couple of clues about Theodore Gordon's uncle, Clarence Gordon.

Clarence was one of the children of George Gordon and Maria Regina Steakhouse Gordon. Clarence was at college when his nephew Theodore was born. Clarence left the family cotton business and, among other things was a writer. He wrote, Christmas at Under-Tor, Boarding School Days, and under the pseudonym, Vieux Moustache, several children books. Theodore's uncle Clarence was an interesting person.

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:46 am

Charlie,

A most excellent and challenging contest, and certainly one that will test one's research prowess--. Before I give it a shake, I have to ask about necessary resources:

1) Can the answers be obtained via online research that does not require accessing for-fee databases?
2) Do some answers require non-online research resources, like a major metropolitan library?
3) Do any answers require membership with the Angler's Club of New York in order to access their archive?

I am especially confounded by the names of dogs--I was showing a friend yesterday a picture of Megan Boyd with her dog--and was at a loss to provide a name for the pooch.

bb

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:51 am

OK, question 3: Clarence went to Harvard.

https://books.google.com/books?id=MXrOA ... or&f=false

bb

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:03 am

No. 1: Gordon went to Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pa. in 1868.

(very conveniently, the source of this is Charlie himself: http://annalsofflyfishing.proboards.com ... don?page=2)

bb (still looking for the name of the mutt)

cwfly

Post by cwfly » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:46 am

Two correct answers is all you need and it's what you have, bb. I'll confirm offline that the address I have is correct and get the hooks on their way.

The mutt is mentioned in McDonald. The photograph of Gordon and the dog, with pinstripes and cigar, did not only appear with his obituary in F & S.
Gordon sent it to the Fishing Gazette with a description. I'll post it later - the dog was named, as I recall, Shot.

Yes, Uncle Clarence went to Harvard and was Secretary of his class. His older brother Theodore attended, but did not graduate from, Columbia.

Young Theodore did indeed attend, for one year, the Dickinson College grammar school the last year it existed in Carlisle. He did not go on to attend the college proper.

Gordon's maternal grandmother, with whom he and mother Fanny lived, was Adeline Freeman Jones. Born on the Fourth of July in Essex Junction, Vermont. She married Charles Hart Jones who died young in Pittsburgh. Mr. Jones sold the Jones Prairie Plough.

I'll fill in a few details later - waiting for the MD to call to see if he can stop my two week deep cough.

Congratulations bb. Well done.

Charlie

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:32 pm

Congrats bb... and interesting bits of piscatorial history Charlie... ;)

Ed