Need a WB alewive pattern

Theroe

Re: Need a WB alewive pattern

Post by Theroe » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:32 pm

I use a couple of different patterns in the region - Or wouldn’t worry, it just has to be a fish today. I have learned ( as have a few local guides )that most of these big trout will impulse strike ANY large thing that comes too close for comfort. If you think about it, it’s not a very hard tactic to learn.
If you’re fishing your streamer as a minnow imitation, nothing beats polar bear on a number 2 long shank hook. And one or two strands of peacock hearl on each side to simulate the lateral line and may be a jungle cock nail for each eye. I use this exact fly to catch large stripers, codfish and fluke on Cape Cod, big browns and rainbows in the Delaware & Beaverkill .........just about everywhere else anything swims it works.
“Time to go fishing”

Laminarman

Post by Laminarman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:20 pm

Theroe wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:32 pm
I use a couple of different patterns in the region - Or wouldn’t worry, it just has to be a fish today. I have learned ( as have a few local guides )that most of these big trout will impulse strike ANY large thing that comes too close for comfort. If you think about it, it’s not a very hard tactic to learn.
If you’re fishing your streamer as a minnow imitation, nothing beats polar bear on a number 2 long shank hook. And one or two strands of peacock hearl on each side to simulate the lateral line and may be a jungle cock nail for each eye. I use this exact fly to catch large stripers, codfish and fluke on Cape Cod, big browns and rainbows in the Delaware & Beaverkill .........just about everywhere else anything swims it works.
I have those materials, plus weighted eyes. Thank you. I usually have better luck pulling the streamer fast downstream as if it's escaping or fleeing. That said, I am the worlds worst streamer fisherman but would put a kitchen sink on about now due to cabin fever.

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:32 am

Not the greatest photo, but you get the idea. This particular fly caught two dozen stripers and half a dozen trout-all nice fish. It’s a very durable pattern, and quick to tie. Even though this one has been well gnawed , there are still a lot of fibers left.
My normal method of fishing this is to toss the fly in to the current, twitch it as it goes down past me, and then strip it quickly at the end of the drift.

Dana
Attachments
C6EE0EDA-77E1-4BD3-903F-52C92DC2EDFF.jpeg
Polar Min-O
C6EE0EDA-77E1-4BD3-903F-52C92DC2EDFF.jpeg (72.26 KiB) Viewed 436 times
“Time to go fishing”

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:07 am

I miss stripers. I used to head down to Popham beach a couple of times a year, or if I was in NH visiting the kids I'd drive down to Plum Island. We, too, used a pattern a lot like the one Dana just posted. I think ours may have had a little more white. They worked great and I didn't need to be too fussy about tying them; though you always knew when you had over dressed a fly, it was like trying to cast a wet gym sock.

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:42 am

This particular fly was a lot whiter-it’s about three years old, and the rust is bleeding through the PB hair...... even with the stainless hook.
“Time to go fishing”

johne

Post by johne » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:28 am

Eperous wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:06 pm
Here's a pattern that was tied and fished for just that purpose... the Neversink Shiner...

Neversink Shiner, tied by Bucky Sterns.JPG

If you're interested, after the March issue of the Catskill Fly Tyer's Guild's Gazette comes out, more info can be provided...

Ed
Ed,

I just came across this. Bucky was a real gem! He was very proud of that pattern and I consider myself lucky to have one of his.

Thanks for the memory! John Ehret

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:12 pm

johne wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:28 am
Eperous wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:06 pm
Here's a pattern that was tied and fished for just that purpose... the Neversink Shiner...

Neversink Shiner, tied by Bucky Sterns.JPG

If you're interested, after the March issue of the Catskill Fly Tyer's Guild's Gazette comes out, more info can be provided...

Ed
Ed,

I just came across this. Bucky was a real gem! He was very proud of that pattern and I consider myself lucky to have one of his.

Thanks for the memory! John Ehret
John,

I never personally met Bucky, but he and I exchanged quite a bit of correspondence and Bucky sent a few patterns and many useful suggestions my way... we had a very good mutual friend in the late Aaron Hirschhorn, and the three of us LOVED the lower Neversink, below NYC's reservoir... both these flyfishers were true gentlemen, and I miss each of them dearly.... from where I sit, and my perspective, they were both part of "my Golden Catskill age" of flyfishing...

THANK YOU for reigniting these fond memories of mine...

Ed