Big Flatbrook.

Vance

Big Flatbrook.

Post by Vance » Sat May 04, 2019 8:27 pm

Hi, Had another good day on the Big Flatbrook in NJ. I quit counting at twelve. Took my grandson with me. Today was his first time fly fishing and he caught eight. He says he wants to go again. He got back from PSU yesterday and was raring to go fishing today. We caught all of the fish on a size sixteen Pheasant Tail nymph. Big Flatbrook is loaded with trout. Again all fish were caught in the fast water. The biggest I caught was a hefty size 13 incher. The only thing hatching were caddis flies. Did not see a May fly at all and saw only one small stone fly.. That’s it for today. Bill the mailman

Eperous

Re: Big Flatbrook.

Post by Eperous » Mon May 06, 2019 8:17 am

Good for you Bill... nice to hear you and your grandson had a nice time there... I have many fond memories of fishing that stream after I got my NJ driver's license back in the mid-60's... THAT was the place to be for young wannabe flyfishers like me... about 4 years ago I purchased a nonresident NJ fishing license and still fish the Garden State December through March, when I get the "itch" and conditions allow... on occasion I drive past the Big Flat on my way to one of the designated wild trout streams, and often think about trying it again... for old times' sake... oddly enough I called one of my buddies yesterday to see how he was doing, and we talked about the Big Flatbrook...

Thanks for bringing back fond memories of my early days, and may you and your grandson enjoy lots of time on the water together...

Ed

Vance

Post by Vance » Mon May 06, 2019 10:12 am

Hi Ed, yes Flatbrook brings back memories for me also. My Dad would take me there when I was 8 or 9 years old. That was back in the 40’s late 40’s. When I lived in Pa. (worked in Sparta,NJ) I would buy an out of state fishing license and fish Flatbrook on the way home. Ed at some point in time we probably crossed paths. Theroe and I lived a few miles apart in Pa. but we did not know each other. It is a small world. Now you live in NYState and I can’t get my wife to move up to Roscoe area. My brother lives just outside of Afton and is willing to give me some property but my wife says no way are we moving into the cold weather area. Well happy fishing. Bill

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Mon May 06, 2019 10:29 am

Bill... thanks for the response and yes now I live in the Catskills, five minutes from the Esopus Creek where I'm heading in a few minutes...

Not to steal your post, but Big Flatbrook was, and may still be, the pride and joy on NJ trout fishers back in the day... As a young pup I can recall many a fine morning near the Blewett Tract, listening to the old dogs talking about fly fishing and the hatches... these guys were disciples of Ernie Schwiebert, many with Orvis Battenkill rods and Hardy reels... I figured these folks had to know what they were doing, in the days before social media, DVD's, Tweets, the Internet, cell phones, etc... only the school of hard knocks and hard covered books to learn from...

Not to steal your post, but below is one of my fondest Flatbrook memories, the day I crossed over to become a life-time flyfisher, opening day of NJ trout season, 1969... the year of love, Woodstock, and the Vietnam War...

Duly noted, the day I finally crossed over to enlightened-side of angling, never to look back on bait again, is as fresh in my mind now as when it happened decades ago. On Opening Day of 1969 my now brother-in-law, Grover Koch, and I together fished the Big Flat Brook River in northwestern New Jersey. He fished bait while I took the high road and used nymphs, an unweighted Cooper Bug, as I had sworn off worms and salmon eggs forever, from that day forward. The stream was over-crowded, as Jersey streams often tend to be on Opening Days; but we were happy to take part in this annual ritual. I remember split shots plunking, bobbers bobbing, anglers hooting and howling, and hooked trout splashing and flopping on the bank, being caught all around me. I had all I could do just to get a decent drift through this piscatorial mess of slap-happy humanity. Eventually things settled down as most other anglers limited out and left the water, and eventually I caught and released two small hatchery rainbows. I was content with my catch and proud that I stayed the course not succumbing to the urge of bait fishing. As I surveyed my surroundings there resting on the bank watching me was Grover. At first I felt a bit sorry for him since he was no longer fishing, but quickly asked him how he did, to which he responded, "OK, I caught, and released, twenty-three trout! How did you do?" At that moment in time I knew my fly fishing experiences could only improve. And, simultaneously a hard core fly fishing purist was born within me, something that I never regret.

True story,

Ed

Vance

Post by Vance » Mon May 06, 2019 7:48 pm

Ed, What a fantastic story. Just reading it made me think of you fishing back then. I feel as I was right next to you watching what you were doing and encouraging you on with fly fishing. Yes, Flatbrook brings back a lot of sweet memories, in fact I got engaged to my wife down on the Blewett tract. I had the ring in my pocket and took a break and asked her to marry me and she said yes so 52 years later we’re still together. Ed, Have a great week and great fishing. Bill