B’kill

Vance

B’kill

Post by Vance » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:08 pm

Hello Folks, OK, This is my trip on Thursday. My last post was for Tue. and Wed. See MarchBrowns. Had another good day on Thursday. Only caught one in the morning but by 2 PM the fish opened there mouthes and I caught 7 good size fish and missed three. Went back to the house where I was staying with two friends had dinner then we headed back way down stream on the B’kill. We started about 715 and the sky looked like it might rain but it didn’t about 8:00pm the fish started to rise. I had on a MarchBrown and had only one swipe at the fly but he did not take it. Well long story short I must have changed flies a dozen times and no takes. So Thursday evening nothing. When we all got together at 915 we all had the same problem a lot of lookers but takers. So if anyone can clue me on what they were taking feel free to let me know. I did not see any thing hatching although Idid see some MarchBrown Spinners in the air but could not see them on the water. That it, Bill the mailman

Theroe

Re: B’kill

Post by Theroe » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:10 pm

Bill
Are you on the lower B'kill??

Try a #16 rusty spinner or a lime sally, same size.

Also, the big golden brown stoneflies are due about now, but with all the rain and cold water, hey might be late. A size #8 or #10 2XL stonefly or wetfly works well during this hatch.

Dana
“Time to go fishing”

Vance

Post by Vance » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:52 am

Theroe, Thanks for the advice, but now I am back home in Manahawkin,n.j. I spent 31/2 days fishing the Beaverkill and now wife has me working at home. Cutting lawn, power washing the house etc. We went to dinner last night to celebrate our 52nd. anniversary. Just checked the flow on the B’kill and it is over 1960 per sec. I hope to get back up in Sept. or Oct. for the fall fishing. We’ll see because she is talking about buying a place in Fla. and another place here in Jersey so I can do my trout fishing. Time will tell what we intend to do. Bill the mailman. PS. Theroe you probably know my wife because she worked at the Grindstone in Pa. Bill

Vance

Post by Vance » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:02 am

Theroe, We were fishing below the old Hansel and Gretle. Do you know where Baxter Hole is? We parked at the bridge on Old 17 and walked upstream aways. We were the only ones fishing that area and it is a great area to fish. From Baxter’s down to the bridge must be close to 1/2 mile and just great water. I have been fishing this area for about 40 years and have always caught trout. I was just skunked on Thursday evening. First time this has happened to me in this area. If you don’t know the area I’m talking about send me a text and I’ll give you better directions and you will just love this area. whv1937@comcast.net is my email address. Bill

Laminarman

Post by Laminarman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:56 pm

I was at Baxster a few days ago (Sunday morning 6/9) right after first light. I hooked a very nice fish on a stonefly nymph, but in keeping with a good fish tale it broke me off. I wish I got a look at her, heavy fish. By 9am I noticed a good number of Yellow Sallies and a very nice number of coffin flies but I had to be back to Binghamton for a graduation party before noon and it was painful leaving the river. Didn't see but one fish come up when I left at 10am however so don't know how the rest of the day went.

Vance

Post by Vance » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:11 pm

Hi, You really have to fish that area from around 7:00 to dark. The biggest one I ever caught there was 201/2 inches long and put up a great fight. I released it and hopefully some else caught it and released it. If you park at the bridge and walk up the road you will see a path to the river. Start where the path goes to the river and fish your way up stream. The fish lay from the middle to the other side. Above Baxster Hole is rapids and there are trout in those rapids. Good luck, If you are after smallmouth fish by the bridge. The biggest smallmouth I ever caught there was 12inches long and put up a fight like he was 2foot long. Bill the mailman

Laminarman

Post by Laminarman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:37 pm

Thank you. I'm familiar with the area but don't fish that run often, and don't ever recall ever fishing it near dark. Thanks for the tip. The largest smallmouth I caught was at Fish's Eddy (under the bridge) during my college years when the Drakes were hatching like skeeters and the river was boiling. I thought I had the largest trout in the galaxy until I realized it was a bass. What great fighters.