2wt 6ft

TheIndian

2wt 6ft

Post by TheIndian » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:32 pm

Hope all are well here...
I believe I am in need of said rod without breaking the bank. Unfortunately Orvis stopped making their Clearwater 2wt 6ft fly rod.
Could anyone advise where else to look for one?
Hope this post was placed in the right category here on SGM.
Thx!
Chris
Don't take it for granite, it's a gneiss day.

Barleywine

Re: 2wt 6ft

Post by Barleywine » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:28 pm

Hi Chris. Temple Fork Outfitters makes a 6 ft 2wt in their Signature II series. I had one of those rods years ago for small streams. Then, the bamboo bug bit me hard and I was no longer using the TFO rod, so it got donated to a raffle. Looks like they're listed at $125.

–Chuck
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx

northcountryman

Post by northcountryman » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:14 am

Those little rods are great for small brooks up in the adirondacks filled lined with alder bushes. I have a a 7 ft 3 wt St. Croix that I use when I’m fishing up there . Never seen a 6 ft though. Good luck

TheIndian

Post by TheIndian » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:15 pm

Thx Barleywine I’ll definitely check out Temple. Price sounds reasonable.
St. Croix is great too Northcountryman. I have a few of their 4 piece spinning rods with a nice carry case that I can trek through the woods strapped to the back of my pack. The ultralight weight five-footer is especially fun.
Thx guys! Will post back with what I wind up with.

Laminarman

Post by Laminarman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:07 pm

There is some good press about the Douglas rods. I cast a 9' #5 and it was very fine for a fair price. These are close but quite what you're looking for, but there's a light rod in here. Quite beautiful color too.

https://douglasoutdoors.com/fly-rods/upstream/

TheIndian

Post by TheIndian » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:56 pm

The Douglas sure are nice LaminarMan but way out of my price range these days haha

I picked up the Temple Barleywine...thx for the lead. Need to match it up with a reel now. Keep the suggestions coming ;)

Thanks guys! Can’t wait to get tangled up in some steep mountain stream pool battling the NYS record brookie LOL...yes, I’ll wake up one of these days...

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:33 am

Congrats on the new rod. It's hard to recommend a specific reel, since reels and line weights are a personal preference. I initially paired that rod with an extremely lightweight reel, but didn't like that combo on the water. It felt like I was fishing with a toothpick. I also preferred the rod with a 3wt line. A 2wt was fine for lawn casting, but the 3wt loaded better for short casts on small streams. You may have a completely different experience, so now would be a good time to pester your fishing buddies to try their different reels and lines on your new rod. Fishing buddies enjoy that sort of thing.

–Chuck
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx

tailwater

Post by tailwater » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:55 am

Not NYS brookie record , but if you want some very nice brookie's try the Adirondacks Jessup river maybe 4/5 miles upstream of Perkins clearing.

TheIndian

Post by TheIndian » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:11 am

Thx Tailwater will def look into it!

I'm thinking of pairing the Temple Fork with an Orvis Battenkill Disc I or II...leaning towards the II.