Pool name on. Esopus

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
andre

Pool name on. Esopus

Post by andre » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:48 pm

Fished a beautiful bend pool about a 100 yards or so below 5 arches bridge today...what is the name of that pool? Also does anyone know of a map out there lists the pool names on Esopus? I would like to learn more about it. Is Mother’s pool behind the campground?

Andre

grousechaser

Re: Pool name on. Esopus

Post by grousechaser » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:49 pm

Chimney Hole is down around the bend a bit.

Brookie

Post by Brookie » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:37 pm

The pool below the Five Arch Bridge is called Big Bend Pool. Mothers Pool is the second Pool above Sleepy Hollow Campground heading towards Phoenicia, the first pool up I believe is Kinsey's Pool.

HookI

Post by HookI » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:16 pm

andre wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:48 pm
Fished a beautiful bend pool about a 100 yards or so below 5 arches bridge today...what is the name of that pool? Also does anyone know of a map out there lists the pool names on Esopus? I would like to learn more about it. Is Mother’s pool behind the campground?

Andre
Andre Dette Fly Shop has collectibles Forever Wild map of the Esopus Creek . Check their web site I have one framed on my wall afloat of the BK

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:52 pm

Big Bend Pool was a favorite haunt of the late Arnold Gingrich... he mentioned it in a few places in his writings...

Page 194 of Mac Francis' new Catskill Rivers book lists many, but not all, the names of Esopus Creek pools.... and I have two sheets of paper from when I researched Esopus Creek pool names back in the early 80's for a TU Esopus Creek Stream Guide.... it includes the names, locations, and my sources of information...many of the pool names are from families that owned land along the river at one time: Hudler's, Kinsey's, Mueller's, Short's etc... some are associated with physical landmarks: Five Arches, Rock Cut, Three Star, Twin Rocks, Greeny Deep etc.... Mother's Pool get its name from Ray Smith's mother, who used to fish there when they lived withing walking distance..... interesting stuff....

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:31 pm

Here's Arnold Gingrich's Big Bend Pool from afar, and overhead....

Esopus- Big Bend Pool.JPG
Esopus- Big Bend Pool.JPG (139.97 KiB) Viewed 209 times

I think Mike Valla might have a caught a nice rainbow here earlier this season on a Quack; I think perhaps having something to do with having read about Gingrich fishing here, when Mike was a young tadpole lifetimes ago...

Ed