Couple of good ones

Algyros

Re: Couple of good ones

Post by Algyros » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:30 pm

Joe,

There are many places to look for information about Euro or tightline nymphing, but I think that one of the best is troutbitten.com. Just look up "mono-rig" on Dom's site.

As for indicator placement, I think that adjusting the indicator is overrated. There is an assumption out there that when using an indy, the flies drift below it, making a right angle with the surface of the stream. That is almost never the case. Since the indy is moving in water that is faster than the water where your nymphs usually are, i.e., the bottom, the indicator is almost always downstream of the flies. If your tippet material between the indy and your flies is long enough, the rig should be self-adjusting for depth. In other words, the flies will trail behind the indy and go deeper or shallower as water depth changes. But, for this to happen, you need enough weight on the terminal end of your rig (weighted nymphs or split shot) to get to the bottom fairly quickly, and a fairly long piece of tippet between the indy and the flies.

Alex

northcountryman

Post by northcountryman » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:54 am

Joe, if you want to get into euro nymphing , best way to start IMHO is with the coil then as you get better at strike detection, graduate up to a straight bright colored sighter. Making the coil is easy , pm me and I can get you started 😊

JoeCz

Post by JoeCz » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:57 am

Algyros wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:30 pm
There are many places to look for information about Euro or tightline nymphing, but I think that one of the best is troutbitten.com. Just look up "mono-rig" on Dom's site.
Thanks for the recommendation, Alex. Lots of good reading for me there!

Tight-lined some skinny pocket water this morning and this little brown tried to eat a #10 stonefly.
IMG_4734.jpg
IMG_4734.jpg (244.32 KiB) Viewed 111 times
Had a good morning, with five fish landed before 8:30 am, but I admit I used an indicator for the others. PM coming your way, @northcountryman.