Seven and a half footer recommendation please...

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Laminarman

Seven and a half footer recommendation please...

Post by Laminarman » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:06 pm

I am lately fishing smaller waters and hiking a great deal into hemlocks and limited casting areas. I have a 7 1/2 foot grass rod I love but it just fails in heavy wind and if I want to throw a weighted/bead head woolly bugger or streamer it's game over. It's a #4 line weight. I am looking for a moderate action, sensitive rod for a #4 line and 7 1/2 feet long. I wanted to find a "classic" Winston or Sage used, and don't want to spend more than $300 or so so I thought used was the way to go. If I bust a rod anywhere it will be on these day long forays so ruled out another bamboo rod. Anyone have any advice? Someone mentioned to me an old Winston IM6 ? in that size but I can't find one. I love the feel of that bamboo rod but I need a bit more. In stiff winds it just won't turn anything over at all.

Laminarman

Re: Seven and a half footer recommendation please...

Post by Laminarman » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:56 pm

I need to clarify I'm not looking at chucking size 4 or 6 bead head woolly buggers, but smaller sizes of these flies like size 10-12. Thx.

gadabout

Post by gadabout » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:58 am

Personally, I would pick at least a 5-weight for what you’re doing. You might try to find an old Orvis Far & Fine graphite, which is a 7’9” 5-weight.

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:52 am

I'd suggest an Orvis 7'6" Battenkill --either 3 7/8 oz or 4 oz models. Rods from the 50s-early 60s have especially nice toning--and these impregnated rods are stronger and can take it better than a graphite rod, I think--especially the tips--which can withstand the whack of a bead better than graphite can.

They are a little more than $300--you can find one for less than $500 with some effort (especially at Langs)--.

bb

Edit & Update: Carmine Lisella has a 7 1/2 Deluxe (even better than the Battenkill) for $475--and I;d buy it if I didn't have two already.

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... 7&t=123063

shakey

Post by shakey » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:19 am

Bushwhacking into hemlock with a 7 1/2 footer?

Many people are happy with a $30 yellow glass eagle claw for this,not joking !

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:07 am

bearbutt wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:52 am
I'd suggest an Orvis 7'6" Battenkill --either 3 7/8 oz or 4 oz models.
Probably one of the most functionally, practical all-purpose cane rods there is, IMO... over many years I've acquired a few pieces of bamboo, and my Battenkills are the last ones I'd ever part with.... a 7 1/2' and 8' do everything I can ask of these.... purchased all my used, but I noticed in recent years the price/cost of used Battenkills has slowly increased, I guessing due to demand....

Ed

Laminarman

Post by Laminarman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:21 pm

All great advice! I’m not “bushwhacking” as much as looking for a versatile rod to fish very tight spaces and throw small streamers into plunge pools. I usually fish a 2 mile section in a morning and walk back to the car

Laminarman

Post by Laminarman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:23 pm

All great advice! I’m not “bushwhacking” as much as looking for a versatile rod to fish very tight spaces and throw small streamers into plunge pools. I usually fish a 2 mile section in a morning and walk back to the car

tailwater

Post by tailwater » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:05 pm

The price of almost all bamboo rods has tanked and that would include the Orvis rods mentioned. Just go to the Classic Fly Rod Forum where there are many pages talking about this very topic. Those Orvis rods mentioned are still nice to have.

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:25 pm

Laminarman wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:21 pm
I'm a cane guy and tend to fish 6 1/2' to 7' 4 weights in these tiny conditions.... duly noted, my favorite bamboo is a 7 1/2' Battenkill, but I sense that's not what you are looking for.... as already noted above, if I were you I'd seek a cheap fiberglass rod... I really wish I had kept some of my early fiberglass flyrods, I'd fished them now for old times' sake, if nothing else....

Good luck in your pursuit of a "bushwhacking" rod.... ;)

Ed