Brook trout flies

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
catskilljohn

Brook trout flies

Post by catskilljohn » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:49 am

It’s been hot at work, really hot last week. Heat stroke hot actually😂
Next trip up I likely will head way upstream, where the water always flows cold.
Started a small fly selection for that trip.
A couple Royal Wulff’s and an Ausable....perched on a Catskill Research inc 2200 reel.

CJ
Attachments
41A48640-6C27-4C55-947D-F2C20AA0C363.jpeg
41A48640-6C27-4C55-947D-F2C20AA0C363.jpeg (156.55 KiB) Viewed 380 times
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

Eperous

Re: Brook trout flies

Post by Eperous » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:38 pm

Very, very nice CJ.... as always, well tied and nicely done.... ;)

I also tie, carry a couple fly boxes dedicated to summer brook trout flies.... mine include a #16 Ausable Bomber, #14 Brown Bivisible, #14/16 Elk Hair Stonefly, and #16 yellow Stimulator... I find Little Yellow Sallies are the predominate headwater brook trout hatch, but I enjoy tossing a few favorite dries nonetheless... I tend to hang a few wets off my dries, favorites being a #14 Partridge and Orange, plus a #14 Black Gnat....

Ed

blackdirtfly

Post by blackdirtfly » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:51 pm

Beauties C.J. Is that peach fly line i see ?

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:37 am

Great looking flies, as always, CJ!

Like Ed said, I would also add an Ausable Bomber and a stimulator. A parachute #14 light Cahill works wonders as well, and you can't beat a Usual, the brookies love when that orange thread bleeds through the body and the more chewed up it gets the more they whack it.

I have been tying some Wulffs and parachutes with orange or pink wings and posts. Much easier to see in broken, shaded, fast water. These eyes ain't as sharp as they used to be... you all know what I'm talking about 8-) :geek:

Hope to head up today to find some cold little rivulets.

All the bests,

Rob J.
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:28 am

Revised Cracklebacks.jpg
Revised Cracklebacks.jpg (141.03 KiB) Viewed 252 times
I must admit a few things, namely: (1) my trout fishing is mainkly done in Wisconsin; (2) most of the times I'm fishing I most often fish soft hackles and / or small nymphs; (3) probaly 90% of the time I fish a dry fly, it's my variation of a Crackleback, from which I use a soft hackle or nymph as the point fly and the Crackleback is my dropper (New Zealand style ).

I stay "my variation of a Crackleback" since the only material used is the peacock herl "spine". All the rest of the materials (dry fly dubbing, Whiting saddle hackle & black thread) aren't used on the original dressing.

I (and many of my fishing friends) have found that a dry fly Crackleback to be a very effective fly for the Brook, Rainbow and Brown trout in Wisconsin