First Bamboo Rod

Any and everything bamboo...
bigborebob

First Bamboo Rod

Post by bigborebob »

First bamboo Rod

As you can tell, I'm new to this forum. Although a lifetime fly fisherman and tyer, the feeling of casting a fine bamboo rod will be new to me. I have a general understanding between mass produced rods from Asia to custom pieces of art work by master craftsmen. I suppose this could be related to knives, where some are safe queens and others are used on a regular basis. Of course this debate can open up a world of opinions.
My first question, if you were an experienced caster, funds were not a huge factor and wanted a bamboo rod to fish with, would you-
1. Look for a new well built mass produced rod?
2. Look for a used well built mass production rod?
3. Look for a used custom rod wiuth a few imperfections / signs of wear?
4. Look for a new custom rod?
5. Contact a quality custom builder?

I've been reading the forum for the last week looking for ideas and opinions - 2 piece versus 3, etc.

I realize there is no "correct" answer to the above, I'm just looking for experiences and recommendations to eliminate some of the learning curve.
These rods would be primarily on freestone trout waters I would guess in the 3-5WT range.

Thanks in advance
"Ain't no right way to do the wrong thing"

ewpeper

Re: First Bamboo Rod

Post by ewpeper »

I'd look for skilled builder to make a rod to fit my needs. Vintage rods can be nice, but if you're looking to get started with cane, why not get something that fits your wants and needs. It's amazing what a skilled maker can do in translating your spoken requirements into a fishing rod. You might try this guy.

http://www.classicflyfisherman.com/MENS ... ENCSER.htm

I've handled one of his rods, and it was lovely. Suspect he may be reasonably nearby, and worst case, you could spend a day on the Delaware -- maybe even casting one or two of his rods.

You'll hear from more of the guys here I'm sure. Ron Frost (Ronbo) makes some lovely rods, and there are a couple more who will be happy to help out. You may want to give this a look as well

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1568

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout »

i would opt for new if I was a 1st timer.Another good builder that is a member of this board is Mike Cannazon who makes a fine Rendition of the classic Leonard model 50 among others also makes a fine Dickerson 8014.Either rod probably would make a fine transition rod going from graphite to cane.He posts under the avatar of mikec.Others to make fine rods but as far as I know they are for personnel use.

Tom

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

Just to muddy the waters for you a bit more, Bob . . . I've been flyfishing for trout for 55+ years and fishing bamboo off-and-on for the last 40 years. I have bought a variety of rods ranging from mass produced (Phillipson, Pezon et Michel, Orvis, Sharpes) to custom rods that I bought second (or third) hand based on the (modern) maker's reputation. I still own and fish all of these rods (I fish bamboo almost exclusively now.), but I never realized how truly grand the bamboo experience could be until I got a rod that was built to my specs based on the kind of fishing I do (primarily dries and emergers) on the water where I spend most of my time (Henry's Fork) and on several conversations about my preferences with the maker.

Having said all of that, probably my second favorite fishing rod is a 65 year old Granger 8642 that casts as if it didn't need any help from me, and since it's almost my age, we get along real well.

Bottom line, you may find a rod that's just right for you in the resale market, but I think that's largely dependent on two things: 1. how flexible you are in your casting style, and 2. just plain luck. As to the two piece versus three piece decision, very often this will be determined by factors other than a simple personal preference. IOW, some taper/length combinations just don't work out as well in 3-pc as they do in 2-pc, but a skilled maker can tell you this.

And, sorry Mike, I didn't mean to overlook you in my previous comments.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

If you can afford a custom built rod that's what you should get. But you need to cast a few rods do more, a lot more, research. You will find very few production rods in the 3 to 5 wt range. They are more like 5 &6. Don't hold yourself to a light line rod a 6 wt in cane casting a silk line is nothing to casting a plastic rod and plastic line. A 6wt will put a dry down on the water so easily that you won't notice it.

For me I can't afford a high end production rod except for a couple of Orvis' that were given to to me. A good Heddon or South Bend at about $250.00 will get you going until you decide that you want to step up to a $600 or above rod. Do your research on Clarks Classic Fly Rod Forum. You can get an idea what the prices are running on the various rods and the different taper available.

bigborebob

Post by bigborebob »

Well,
Muddy waters is not preferred when fishing dries, but in this case no problem.

This info is exactly what I was looking for.

Somehow I just realized I may be missing one of the finer parts of this hobby by not trying a fine grass rod.

Now the whole new aspect of silk line vs modern line.

This may become as contageous as fly patterns, custom knives, >>>>>

Couldn't find any contact info for Mike Cannazon - perhaps the spelling is incorrect? Does he have a website.
"Ain't no right way to do the wrong thing"

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

On here he is mikec

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

bigborebob wrote:Well,

Somehow I just realized I may be missing one of the finer parts of this hobby by not trying a fine grass rod.

Now the whole new aspect of silk line vs modern line.

This may become as contageous as fly patterns, custom knives, >>>>>
Having had personal experience with fine shotguns, benchmade knives, and a few other "sporting" obsessions, all I can tell you, Bob, is if you get involved with bamboo rods, all else will pale by comparison, but the level of satisfaction is commensurate with the degree of the obsession. To quote Gough Thomas Garwood, a well-known British gun writer, who said about "best" guns, "Functional beauty is no mere whimsy, but the last refinement of efficiency." The statement applies equally to fine bamboo rods and well made reels. It's a great trip. Enjoy it.

Eric

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout »

Wanna talk to Mike call the Catskill Fly Fishing Center Museum. He lives in the "WHITE HOUSE "just upstream from the museum.
You won't be disapointed.

Tom

the wolf88

Post by the wolf88 »

as someone says " once get biten by the boo bug.. you never will be cure" I rather get the rod made by a maker.. my frist one was come from Doug Borer of Colo. great rod maker. the maker can fine tune the rod you want to have it made. there soo many tapers.. you have to find that works best for your style. 4/5 wt rods is the idea rods for trout fishing around here. 7'6 to a 8 footers are common. I have few in my collections three are made by two good makers. I have one which was mass production is an old one but cast sweet. they are hard to get one in great shape.