Silk

Any and everything bamboo...
catskilljohn

Silk

Post by catskilljohn » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:53 pm

I have been avoiding buying a silk line for a few reasons, none that are making much sense to me right now.

I was casting Canazons 9' 3wt at the trout parade and noticed he had a silk line on the little Hardy he uses for that rod. That line was nice. Kind of zinged through the guides and felt good. I know a few of you guys use silk, so what do you know about the Chinese line "Zhu"? There are a bunch of them on e-bay and it looks like some of the guys from Clarks are using and kind of liking them.

Worth a shot to try one or just get one of the Phoenix lines? CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

narcodog

Re: Silk

Post by narcodog » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:32 pm

CJ
There was along thread sometime ago and most were not to happy. I'm sure you saw the new thread and I think that it is running about 50/50. Ronbo told me he was using silk and liked it but even after a year it still was not broken in. I did not ask him what brand he had. I am also interested in a silk line but I want more info before I plunk down any $$.

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:59 pm

narcodog wrote: I am also interested in a silk line but I want more info before I plunk down any $$.
That is exactly what I am thinking. I really liked Mikes line [it was actually a half-line] but thin and soft, it felt great. I may just try one, how bad could it be?

There is a reel I have my eye on that looks to be spooled up with silk also, and since I am looking for the reel anyway, maybe I will get lucky. You will be the first to know narco :D CJ

narcodog

Post by narcodog » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:43 pm

Maybe I need to search for that reel in never never land. :mrgreen:

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:12 pm

CJ,

I think there have been discussions about silk lines on Clark's, if you do an archive search there.

I have a Thebault 5 wt. that I use once in awhile. It's nice to use on cane sometimes but it requires some preparation to fish.

If you want to fish it dry, you have to grease the line with mucilin (or the Thebault proprietary formula stuff) right before fishing. It will float for about a half day of fishing before you need to dry it out again and re-apply grease.

At the end of the day you have to dry the line out... strip it off reel and loop it in loose coils on a wooden peg or line dryer.

It has the advantage of small diameter compared to plastic line. And it flies through the guides.

If you buy a new Thebault, you have to soften it up a bit yourself with several applications of grease. Thebault used to make a 15-meter (yard) line for a somewhat reasonable price (like $100). Phoenix, the next competitor, has very good lines without the breakin period of Thebault, but they're more pricey.

Personally, I would stay away from the China-made lines (even though that's where the silk might acutally come from).

Maybe you could post a 'wanted to buy' item on Clark's and see if anyone has a used silk line in decent condition they would consider selling.

Rob
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:19 pm

ps some old reels have silk lines on 'em that you might be able to strip and re-varnish if they're not too bad.

some reels have nylon lines that look like silk.

put a lighter to the end of one if you're not sure... nylon melts, silk doesn't.

rob
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

Ronbo

Post by Ronbo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:23 pm

Hey Johnny,
I have two of the Terenzio silk lines a 4 and 5 weight. I fished them exclusivly last year and this season.
I like the line a lot and don't plan on going back to plastic. They did take about a season of on and off again use to break in.
I believe that the phoenix silk lines are more supple out of the box but are $260.00 a pop. I would not hestitate to get the Terenzio
again and the price is about a hudred bucks less.
It's also alot of fun breaking in the line as it means I'm on the stream :D

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:43 pm

Ronbo wrote:
It's also alot of fun breaking in the line as it means I'm on the stream :D
Or I could let Joe borrow it for a week, but then again, he may wear it out :lol: CJ

Ronbo

Post by Ronbo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:36 pm

Catskill John wrote
Or I could let Joe borrow it for a week, but then again, he may wear it out CJ
I wish I thought of that last year, I could have had him break both lines in by May :lol:

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:09 pm

That reel I bought just came in the mail today. I took B&B's advice and held a flame to the tip of the line, it sort of flared up a little, and then it turned to dust, so I am thinking it is a silk line. Its got what appears to be line dressing all over it, I rigged it up to my 8ft'er and stripped all the line off, it filled the reel completely with no backing. Definitely 90' of line, but unfortunately most likely a 7 or maybe 8 wt. Its got some heft to it, and loads the hell out of the rod with just 30' of line out.

So anyway, I got a cherry pflueger Gem from 1937, and a silk line I wont use, everything is good here :lol:

CJ