Nail knot or...

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

Nail knot or...

Post by Eperous » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:56 pm

Just curious how many folks use a nail knot, or braided loop, or other means to attach their leader to the fly line? :?:

I still rely upon a braided loop, which holds up for a season or two, but seriously thinking about nail knotting a 30# test loop to my fly line again, to which I can attach my leader... :?:

Ed

tailwater

Re: Nail knot or...

Post by tailwater » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:05 pm

Butt of leader to fly line with nail knot. It lasts for years .

corlay

Post by corlay » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:57 am

nail knot, here.
I'm pretty old-skool when it comes to stuff like this...

andre

Post by andre » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:35 pm

Quick nail knot...20 lb. 4/5, 25lb. 6 wt.

Algyros

Post by Algyros » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:15 pm

I make a tiny (1/8") loop at the end of my fly line using ten pound Berkely fused crystal superline and a uni knot. I make the loop and then secure it with the superfine. A drop of superglue secures it.

Then I just tie on the butt of my leader to the tiny loop. Easy to attach, easy to detach.

Alex

northcountryman

Post by northcountryman » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:30 am

Nail knot the butt end of a used leader and tie a perfection loop to replace leaders

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:47 am

I prefer the needle nail knot over the nail knot. it seems to go through the guides easier. I tend to use very long leaders , much longer than the rod and any knot like a nail knot becomes annoying as it passes through the guides so I've been splicing the butt end of a leader onto the end of the fly line so the knots don't go through the guides.

And when my casting becomes lazy I have less trouble with the fly becoming entangled with that knot.

good question Ed..

.hope that moron hacker goes to jail

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:46 am

Thanks for all the responses.... ;)

... and, I've answered this question for myself... now, once and for all.... :roll:

After replacing a worn braided loop on a Cortland DT4F Slyk line with a new one, when I originally posted this thread... I took a break from fishing NYC tailwaters and hit a favorite mountain brook trout stream yesterday afternoon, as it was too warm and muggy to do yard work... plus trout fishing is more fun... :D

I couldn't believe that when my fly line got tangled on a mossy rock, after giving it a tug to loosen the mess, the new braided loop failed/broke and I lost my leader... that ruined my day as I was catching cooperative brook trout...

EHSF brook trout.JPG
EHSF brook trout.JPG (110.15 KiB) Viewed 336 times

So I came home and tried to nail some 25# test mono to the fly line to create a loop for leader attachment purposes... I had to tie the nail knot about a half dozen times, as when I pulled on the knot to snug it up, I kept breaking the Cortland Slyk DT4... I must have had a weak spot in the fly line... but there's a nail knot there now...

PS... I do find that nail knots can use issues when passing through the rod guides, one of the reasons I went to braided loops... these issues aren't a problem when catching 5" or 6" brook trout, but when lucky enough to hook large 18"+ browns, or Esopus bows, the last thing I want to do is pull the leader in through the rod guides and then have a strong fish make a solid run... I recall one incident on the Neversink years ago... my leader got hung up in the rod guides as a big brown took off... it was either break the cane rod tip OR point the rod at the fish and have it pop my tippet, which I did... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ed

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:35 pm

After five decades of fly fishing I am partial to Wright & McGill Leader Links--the little plastic orange torpedo links--knot the fly line at one end with an overhand knot, and the leader butt at the other end with two overhand knots, and you are good to go. I've caught landlocks up to 5 pounds using them--haven't had one break with a fish yet. You do have to replace them every now and then based on use (UV degradation)--but they generally last long, don't hinge the line, and move easily through the small tip tops and guides of vintage cane rods. Being orange, they are also fair indicators when nymphing. I love them. Don't buy cheap substitute ones though--they're junk--only W&Ms.

bb

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:22 pm

IMG_0245.jpeg
IMG_0245.jpeg (135.06 KiB) Viewed 317 times

this is how I splice the leader to the line. about an inch long,, both leader and fly line are indented by the tips of a pliers then tapered with a scissors.
IMG_0246.jpeg
IMG_0246.jpeg (62.12 KiB) Viewed 317 times

tapered sections are overlapped then wrapped with thread, super glued then cover with a finish...I use solarez (uv) medium hardness, but just about anything can be used like nail polish, lacquer, varnish. whatever

I don't change leader but use lots of tippet.

works for me. never lost a leader to a fish...only to one REALLY BAD BACKCAST AROUND AN ANCIENT PINE.