Zip locks

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

Zip locks

Post by Eperous »

Though probably not everyone's idea of prime fly fishing gear, I heavily relie on plastic zip lock sandwhich bags to store on car keys, and another bag for my wallet. When one combines swimming with fishing, as much as I do :o :oops: :roll: , I find these little plastic bags invaulable. 8-) That said, I only get a dozen, maybe two dozen trips, out of one bag before it no longer seals and needs replacement.

Anyone else use zip lock plastic bags for keeping vaulables dry while fishing, and if so, what are your experiences with them? :?:

Ed

Allan

Re: Zip locks

Post by Allan »

Yes, but I prefer the 'freezer' bags in the sdandwich (or thereabouts) size.
Tougher against snags and more water proof.
Allan

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

Allan wrote:Yes, but I prefer the 'freezer' bags in the sdandwich (or thereabouts) size.
Allan
Same here. One for the digital camera in a vest pocket. Anothers for keys. In the tackle bag, there's one that holds all the wader/boot repair stuff and another for all the seldom used nymphing paraphernalia.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

don't forget the cell phone....those bags have saved me more than a few times....how about those newspaper bags for your feet when the boots have a "slight"
leak?

big bags for the wet stuff and thse shopping bags for teh wading boots.. okay not all of them have zip locks but do handles count?

yo

ewpeper

Post by ewpeper »

ted patlen wrote:don't forget the cell phone....

yo
I try to forget the cell phone as often as I possibly can. It has a place where it lives in the truck, and it is not allowed to come with me when I go fishing. And that's final. :-)

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

ewpeper wrote:
Allan wrote:Yes, but I prefer the 'freezer' bags in the sdandwich (or thereabouts) size.
Allan
Same here. One for the digital camera in a vest pocket. Anothers for keys. In the tackle bag, there's one that holds all the wader/boot repair stuff and another for all the seldom used nymphing paraphernalia.

Eric
Just another option on digital cameras... I also carry a digital camera with me on stream, a small Olympus Tough 6000... that said, I keep my camera in a small Otter, foam lined, water tight plastic box that I stuff down my waders for easy access... I have dropped the camera/box on several occasions over the years, the foam lining really helps... and the entire box, camera included, floated away from me one day - I retrieved it, being water tight protected the camera and prevented the combo from sinking...

I guess if one is not a piscatorial clutz like me, you don't need zip lock bags or water tight camera cases... :oops:

Ed

Mantis

Post by Mantis »

Where the heck do you guys put all this stuff? Cell phone on a river? Leave mine in the car.

Allan

Post by Allan »

Bob,

No phone. No camera. Not even a wallet if I remember to take it out of my pants and place in car. The zip lock bag is for Good and Plenty, a sandwich or a snack :P :lol:

Actually, I feel a little sorry for anyone who feels the necessity to carry a phone while on the water.

Allan

redietz

Post by redietz »

Allan wrote:Bob,

No phone. No camera. Not even a wallet if I remember to take it out of my pants and place in car. The zip lock bag is for Good and Plenty, a sandwich or a snack :P :lol:

Actually, I feel a little sorry for anyone who feels the necessity to carry a phone while on the water.

Allan

There's actually two valid reasons for carrying one on the water (even though I never do). One is safety. Our cohort isn't getting any younger; heart attacks are real possibilities. The other is to report poachers. A number of people that I fish with have the MD Report-a-Poacher hotline stored on their phone, and they use it. (In fact, one of my friends reported somewhat seining trout from Big Hunting Creek a week or so ago; the perps were arrested.)
Bob

Mantis

Post by Mantis »

When you get to a certain age you should always fish with a buddy. Of course accidents can happen at any age: Datus fell and hit his head and drowned. Teddy fell and hit his head, and now he is like he is.

Allan, if you don't carry anything how will they ID your body?

Something I have always been 'going to do' but never actually get around to doing it is to put my name and phone number on everything
via a sharpie. I suppose if you lost a net, or fly box, or left a wading staff somewhere it is less than an even proposition you'd get it back anyway. Should you lose something you can only hope someone with a conscious finds the lost item.
Last edited by Mantis on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.