Battenkill this weekend?

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
JoeCz

Battenkill this weekend?

Post by JoeCz » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:23 am

The wife and I are probably heading up to Burlington VT for the long weekend and if I can talk her into it, I may have her drop me off somewhere along the way (or at least not too far out of the way) for a couple hours of fishing while she does something she enjoys. Was thinking maybe somewhere around/upstream of Eagleville, as public access looks pretty good. I've read a couple of comments about boat traffic--as it is Labor Day weekend, how big a problem will that be? Too many other anglers? I'm looking for any advice/suggestions, including other angling possibilities. Feel free to PM me. TIA.

mikevalla

Re: Battenkill this weekend?

Post by mikevalla » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:41 pm

Joe,
I live 15-20 minutes from that 'Kill stretch,( in W. Cambridge). And up until a couple of years ago I had a cabin 3 minutes from the No-Kill section in Shushan upstream from Eagleville bridge.

-You're likely to have a goodly number of kayaks/tubers floating through that section upstream from Eagleville Bridge. The most popular area you'll see all of that is at the Spring Hole,in Shushan---it's right smack in the no-kill. The RT 313 Bridge a short distance upstream can be good---parking at the bridge and fishing upstream.

HOWEVER: I'd never bother with it unless it was before 8:00AM or after 7:30 PM. Just too much of a theme park, esp. this time of year and especially Labor Day weekend.

Of course, our SGM member Squish67 (the most accomplished Batten Kill fly guy who lives down river) might tell you otherwise. He doesn't mind floaters at all. :P

You might run into Teddy P. He's coming up Thursday for a couple of days, staying with a mutual friend of ours who also lives in Cambridge. I think those guys are going out fishing Saturday? I'll be home gazing out over our vineyard, from our screen house.
Follow me on Twitter

squish67

Post by squish67 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:45 am

Mike's right about the boat traffic, although it will be nowhere near as bad as July 4th, Mike's favorite day to fish! :lol: I'd give it a little more time than 8:30 and if you get to the Special Regs area early you'll find Tricos most everywhere. After that,the PFR on the Battenkill extends all the way from the border to East Greenwich, so if I fish later it will be below Rexliegh. You have access at several bridges at Rexliegh, Rt 22, East Greenwich, and Battenville. Not sure where you are coming from, but PM me and I could meet you someplace and give you a map. If I were you, and it's mid day I'd park at the Rt 22 access south of Rt 29 on the Salem/Jackson border and fish downstream. Good water for a ways sown, then you'll hit a long flat stretch near the Salem Fish & Game Club, but keep going down through the riffles and ................ ;) ;) ;) .

Also might give you some hints for things that your wife might like to do.

Rich

JoeCz

Post by JoeCz » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:13 pm

Thanks Mike and Rich for taking the time to offer your suggestions. Much appreciated!

Joe