Fishing with

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

Fishing with

Post by Eperous » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:41 pm

... well, this morning I had the pleasure of fishing a Croton Watershed tailwater with our Squish67--- I guess his U.S. mail reads Rich Norman--- and the pleasure was all mine... he's quite the talented angler and fly tyer....

Squish67.JPG
Squish67.JPG (168.17 KiB) Viewed 477 times

Ed

ted patlen

Re: Fishing with

Post by ted patlen » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:15 am

east, west, amawalk, ???? you're quite correct about rich...you ain't not slack either

squish67

Post by squish67 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:18 am

But apparently, as per the photo, prone to equipment failure. Especially stuff he hasn't used in 40 years. It was great going back there Ed, been a long time, made more enjoyable by having you to fish and reminisce with! :D :D :D

squish67

Post by squish67 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:19 am

Ted

Amawalk, below Wood Street. Man is it overgrown with multi-flora rose!!!! Felt like i came in second in a knife fight! :o :o

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:52 am

A-Amawalk.JPG
A-Amawalk.JPG (134.44 KiB) Viewed 376 times
A-X-Caddis brown.JPG
A-X-Caddis brown.JPG (149.92 KiB) Viewed 376 times

HookI

Post by HookI » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:58 am

squish67 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:19 am
Ted

Amawalk, below Wood Street. Man is it overgrown with multi-flora rose!!!! Felt like i came in second in a knife fight! :o :o
It’s been a season or two since I’ve been on those trout streams . It’s about 35 minutes without traffic from my house . I know it gets choked up with overgrowth and heavy pressure .How was the water level ? I must get back over again . I enjoy those waters and surroundings resiouvors .
Thanks for sharing

JoeCz

Post by JoeCz » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:31 am

When I worked in Mount Kisco, I used to hop in there sometimes before/after work. Nice small water, with some feisty little browns. Never caught any that were close to the 12" minimum, but they must be in there somewhere because they keep making babies.

squish67

Post by squish67 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:06 am

It has been more than a season or two since I fished there. Forty years in fact! We had the river all to ourselves.The water was clear, cold, and at a good height I though for early September. Expected to see Tricos, but there were none about. I have heard some stories about "environmental disasters" over the years, and can only think that may be a reason. Didn't see many insects, although there were caddis cases on the stream rocks. Wish I'd flipped some rocks to check for mayfly nymphs. There were plentiful Sulphers, and good Hendricksons back in the day. Seemed to be a good supply of fish in the 6" to 9" range, most of which we spooked. :D :o . Saw one fish which might have gone a foot.

The thing that got me was how choked the place is with invasives, mostly multi flora rose. The trail below the first crossing along the power line used to be a pleasant walk through a meadow, now it looks like a jungle. Didn't eve try to tackle it. At one point while trying to skip around to get upstream, i got so tangled up in multi flora rose I had to backtrack quite a ways and come back up the stream bed.

Wish it wasn't so far away. As a stream on which I once unlocked some of its' secrets, there are now new secrets to unlock. A lot of "what if" questions I'd like to answer. Going to have to get up early and make the long drive again. ;)