Vise recommendations

Anything fly tying...
Bamboo&Brookies

Vise recommendations

Post by Bamboo&Brookies » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:24 am

Hey folks, a friend of mine is looking to leap down the rabbit hole and get into fly tying. I have tried to warn him away from this road to personal and financial ruin but he will not be swayed. 8-)

He is asking suggestions for a basic, decent vise to start with. I figure he will be tying trout flies for the most part -- probably sz. 4 streamers through sz. 20 or so dries.

I have a Dyna-King Barracuda Jr. rotary... got it years ago at Somerset for under $200... I like it but I see they now go for $400... way too steep.

I see good things said about HMH Spartan vises, or even the old standard Thompson "A" model, which appear to be available to this day.

Any other thoughts ( ? )

Thanks!

-Rob J.
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

ted patlen

Re: Vise recommendations

Post by ted patlen » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:15 am

regal has a variety of vises that are excellent

blackdirtfly

Post by blackdirtfly » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:09 pm

I love my HMH vise.
Also have a Danvise that i used for years.

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:40 pm

blackdirtfly wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:09 pm
I love my HMH vise. ...
Second that... LOVE my HMH... :D but it's an HMH Standard.... I moved from various Thompson models, including their 360 SLT vise when I broke a pin when Thompson disappeared from the tying scene for a few years, and Tim Didas saved my bacon sending me a replacement pin, though we didn't know each other... we've been good friends since that mishap...

HMH has my vote, but I grew up on Thompson style vises....

Ed

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:19 pm

Thank you! I will pass these suggestions along.

rjj
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:41 pm

Your friend can’t go wrong with a Thompson........ if he falls down the black hole, he can always upgrade and keep the Thompson as a back up, just like the rest of us did.
Dana
“Time to go fishing”

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:48 pm

Theroe wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:41 pm
Your friend can’t go wrong with a Thompson........ if he falls down the black hole, he can always upgrade and keep the Thompson as a back up, just like the rest of us did.
LOL!--I must be the only one who never had a Thompson--my first vise was a Universal rotary--. There are a lot of pictures of people like Helen Shaw tying on them out there, and they were made near where I lived in Western Mass--so it wasn't a hard decision to make. They're aluminum/alloy, and fairly light--I still use mine for when I fly and travel. Not the easier jaw to use, but it did the job for over a decade before I upgraded to a Regal--and it's Regals I use at home and when I can drive to camp.

bb

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:52 pm

I finally bought a regal after seeing them everywhere, in the last few years almost everyone I know switched to one.
I lucked out as it was under $60.00 though, likely wouldn’t have ponied up if it was full price, but I’ve been using it a lot and really like it.
The only downside is anything over 3/0 doesn’t fit.
I keep a Thompson at the upstate place, that thing is just great. Really all anyone needs. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:38 am

true cj about the size part. another thing I've found is that the pressure on the regal is so great that it can easily ruin a japanned finish on antique hooks and will dent any of the automobile finishes used by many of the todays hard made hook makers

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:17 pm

John-I meant to mention this trick to you: spray brake cleaner has a clear plastic tube straw.......Cut a 1 inch piece, and then split it in half with a razor blade. Soak it in hot water and then form it over the bend, and let cool.

Works like a charm, and it’s reusable !!
“Time to go fishing”