Joe's smelt

narcodog

Joe's smelt

Post by narcodog » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:49 pm

Last year I saw a fly that intrigued me, not that I will fish it much but I was told that the pintail feather , elver,used was difficult to obtain. After a years search I have obtained a few, not perfect but should work to practice with until I locate some that narrow enough to tye the fly properly.

Here's what I would like to know. If the feather is overly wide is there a way to narrow them and still keep the proportions correct.

PS. if anyone has a few narrow elvers I would love to obtain them from you.

redietz

Re: Joe's smelt

Post by redietz » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:21 pm

FWIW, I've never been able to catch anything on a Joe's Smelt, but have been quite successful with the related Wood Special. (Both were invented by Joe Sterling.)

I've tied and fished quite a few of them. Maybe they only work in Maine.

I may have some pintail; I'll have to look.
Bob

Mr. Don

Post by Mr. Don » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:21 pm

A famous Maine fly that this Mainer has never caught a fish on either. Quit tying them years ago. I might have some pintail. Lemme look.

Mr. Don

Post by Mr. Don » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:43 pm

Nope. Sorry no pintail. I called my buddy and he swears we used mallard. So I retract my criticism of the fly. I was fishing a cheep imitation. No wonder they didn't work, :D

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:34 pm

Mr. Don wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:43 pm
Nope. Sorry no pintail. I called my buddy and he swears we used mallard. So I retract my criticism of the fly. I was fishing a cheep imitation. No wonder they didn't work, :D
I've tied/fished them with pintail... never, nothing... but it was never at the top of my list of patterns to use... so maybe it's me... :oops:

Ed

St.Froid

Post by St.Froid » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:06 am

Mr. Don wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:21 pm
A famous Maine fly that this Mainer has never caught a fish on either. Quit tying them years ago. I might have some pintail. Lemme look.
I live north of Caribou and spend my time on the Fish River chain; Joe's Smelt has never been a producer here either. They have however worked exceptionally well for me in NH. Winnipesaukee, the Connecticut lakes... Go figure.

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:35 pm

Eperous wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:34 pm
[
I've tied/fished them with pintail... never, nothing... but it was never at the top of my list of patterns to use... so maybe it's me... :oops:

Ed
Yes, it's you, because yous name is Ed. It's futile for an Ed to fish a Joe fly. I do believe it works well if your name is Joe (mine is). Maybe change your name next time? See if that helps?

Anyone ever try Lou's fly?

bb

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:12 am

had a friend who tied thousands of them for the New Hampshire crowd...thousands. he had toms of pintail...don 't know where they ended up. question to those who have used the pattern....any problems with testing the leader? Hank (my friend) used to troll them on Winipassaki (spelling)

narcodog

Post by narcodog » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:24 pm

You guys make me laugh. I was just asking about obtaining the proper feather. very narrow elvers feather. Or how to tye the wide feathers I have to look good on a hook. I have no desire to fish them. I just want to tye them as close to the original pattern as possible.