Joe's smelt

narcodog

Joe's smelt

Post by narcodog » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:49 pm

Last year I saw a fly that intrigued me, not that I will fish it much but I was told that the pintail feather , elver,used was difficult to obtain. After a years search I have obtained a few, not perfect but should work to practice with until I locate some that narrow enough to tye the fly properly.

Here's what I would like to know. If the feather is overly wide is there a way to narrow them and still keep the proportions correct.

PS. if anyone has a few narrow elvers I would love to obtain them from you.

redietz

Re: Joe's smelt

Post by redietz » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:21 pm

FWIW, I've never been able to catch anything on a Joe's Smelt, but have been quite successful with the related Wood Special. (Both were invented by Joe Sterling.)

I've tied and fished quite a few of them. Maybe they only work in Maine.

I may have some pintail; I'll have to look.
Bob

Mr. Don

Post by Mr. Don » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:21 pm

A famous Maine fly that this Mainer has never caught a fish on either. Quit tying them years ago. I might have some pintail. Lemme look.

Mr. Don

Post by Mr. Don » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:43 pm

Nope. Sorry no pintail. I called my buddy and he swears we used mallard. So I retract my criticism of the fly. I was fishing a cheep imitation. No wonder they didn't work, :D

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:34 pm

Mr. Don wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:43 pm
Nope. Sorry no pintail. I called my buddy and he swears we used mallard. So I retract my criticism of the fly. I was fishing a cheep imitation. No wonder they didn't work, :D
I've tied/fished them with pintail... never, nothing... but it was never at the top of my list of patterns to use... so maybe it's me... :oops:

Ed