Demo Tying

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
narcodog

Demo Tying

Post by narcodog » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:17 am

With the shows season coming up in the next few months what are your favorite flies that you tye?

ted patlen

Re: Demo Tying

Post by ted patlen » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:14 pm

interesting

I tie mostly historic patterns that people attending the shows don't usually see or tie themselves. Most are interested with techniques; setting wings on standard wets, full dressed salmon flies, and streamers, etc. Lots of them really enjoy the process for two-feathers as well as spinners and really simple emergers.

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:24 am

Bob... when tying away from home... I try to pick a few different patterns that mostly utilize the same, or similar, materials so I don't have to bring all my stuff with me.... and, I also NEVER bring any head cement, but apply it when I return home... once--- a long time ago--- a bottle cap came undone while travelling making quite the mess, ruining a couple necks...so I stopped bringing it with me...

Ed

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:44 am

Familiar stuff, the flies you can almost do without looking. Like Ed mentioned, you don’t need a lot of materials, most guys I see tying bring what appears to be their whole stash and end up making soft hackles the whole time😂😂

It’s amazing how little you need to make a dozen flies.

I think it was Dave Whitlock that used to bag materials for each fly, hooks, dubbing, rib, tailing, etc all in a small bag. You make up a few of those and you don’t have to wonder if you forgot something. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:49 pm

AS CJ mentioned----make up bags per pattern. Poul Jorgensen first suggested that I make up single pattern go bags---many years ago. He also tipped Ralphy Graves to do the same.

I have about a dozen zip lock "pattern go-bags" with all the materials needed for a given pattern. It's rare that I tie flies at shows these days (I did tie at Edison and the International Shows last year, and once at Denver three years ago. And in Sweden a couple of years ago----packed pattern go-bags on those trips.)

The next time I "feel in the mood," I'm not going to stuff a dozen pattern go-bags in my luggage. ONE pattern bag--that's all I'm carting. :o

-MV
Follow me on Twitter