Tiniest Hook

Anything fly tying...
tyeflies

Tiniest Hook

Post by tyeflies » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:28 pm

I recall when Hans sent me a Mustad #32 to tie a fly and mail back to him so he could photo and post along with flies tied by others. I never did tie on that hook but recall seeing some great flies by others. Unfortunately I think his photos were somehow lost. However I was wondering if anyone has tied on the Mustad 32?
Allan

Eperous

Re: Tiniest Hook

Post by Eperous » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:04 pm

Yes, I have.... tied on 30's and 32's... but rarely do I ever fish a fly tied on anything smaller than a #24 Daiichi 1130... tying small flies is one thing, and still not to hard for me, as long as it's a simple pattern... HOWEVER, attaching a fly smaller than a 24, like a 30 or 32 is a real time-consuming issue... and I'm not sure dropping down in size from a 24 to a 28 or 30 or 32, buys me much more....

Ed

Vance

Post by Vance » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:09 am

Ed, What I would do is add tippet to the fly while still in the vise. I would add about 18” of tippet to any fly that was smaller than a size 22. I would roll it up and put in a baggie,then put it in my pocket. Sometimes rollit up and put it on the wool patch of my vest. Now the smallest I use is a size 20. Eyes are not what they use to be. Bill the mailman

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:24 am

Vance wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:09 am
Ed, What I would do is add tippet to the fly while still in the vise. I would add about 18” of tippet to any fly that was smaller than a size 22. I would roll it up and put in a baggie,then put it in my pocket. Sometimes rollit up and put it on the wool patch of my vest. Now the smallest I use is a size 20. Eyes are not what they use to be. Bill the mailman
Good advice, thanks Bill... but I'll add that I don't find a need to fish a dry smaller than a 24, and I can still attached these to my leader without issue... I also carry TWO PAIR of "dollar store" reading glasses, that actually cost me one dollar plus tax, to help me when I add/changes flies of all sizes... the 2nd pair is just in case I drop the first pair into the river, as I did recently while standing waist-deep in a fast Esopus Creek... :oops: :roll: :(

Ed

tyeflies

Post by tyeflies » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:40 pm

Guys,
Just to clarify: Was asking specifically about the Mustad gold plated size 32. If your not familiar with it, it is about 1/3 the size of the Tiemco #32.

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:05 am

NEVER TIED SMALLER THAN A MUSTAD 28. like ed said, never felt the need for smaller. Although I think size is second to presentation the difference in body lengths at those sizes isn't warranted. vance said it about lengthening the tippet. I know some guys who use 5 feet of tippet in some situations. Personally I like about 3 feet when fishing 6 or 7x and midges. I think it makes the fly float more naturally for a longer time.

I just finished with cataract surgery and it's like I'm 40 years old again, but still need reading glasses on the small stuff.

todays vast arrays of hooks makes it difficult for me to understand hook sizes. when I am asked what size fly I'm using my answer is usually in body lengths and not sizes. I have some 24's just as long as someone else's 18's.

tyeflies

Post by tyeflies » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:25 pm

Hi guys,
I’m not sure that these hooks were ever meant for actual fishing. As I wrote, Hans W. Mailed them out as a tying challenge. I’ve used these hooks as inlaids on some rods I’ve built.
Good for conversation not fishing (perhaps).