Snow, BWO's, and trout season

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
Eperous

Snow, BWO's, and trout season

Post by Eperous » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:20 pm

Well, the 2019 NYS trout season is still open on a few Catskill rivers... snow covered the Catskill peaks when I crossed NYC's mighty Ashokan today and air temps a high of 34 degrees, with a possible winter storm in this Tuesday's weather forecast... yet this is the time of season when tiny BWO's occasionally float pass hungry trout and streamers can work their magic... it's also the time of season I truly enjoy fishing, as most anglers have quit and rivers are not crowded...

I was out yesterday, and never observed a rising trout or BWO, but fish where still to be had.... I caught a few wild browns on a yellow Madonna and a small bow an a small Pheasant Tail nymph....
S-BWO-S-PT bow.JPG
S-BWO-S-PT bow.JPG (75.51 KiB) Viewed 215 times
S-BWO-S-Madonna br.JPG
S-BWO-S-Madonna br.JPG (85.11 KiB) Viewed 215 times
Let's keep fishing, and catching trout, until NYSDEC won't allow us to anymore....

Ed

HookI

Re: Snow, BWO's, and trout season

Post by HookI » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:40 pm

I'm still moving around on some of our NY & NJ streams until the ice holds me up , but today was cold I'm ok with that but the WIND was double digits high teens . Always great to read your posts & view your camera shots . Thanks for sharing = the other Chuck

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:42 pm

HookI wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:40 pm
I'm still moving around on some of our NY & NJ streams until the ice holds me up , but today was cold I'm ok with that but the WIND was double digits high teens . Always great to read your posts & view your camera shots . Thanks for sharing = the other Chuck
Somehow "the other Chuck" I think our paths might have crossed this Sunday past, down in the Garden State, when we each caught wild rainbows, like below....

fat, sassy CHWB bow.JPG
fat, sassy CHWB bow.JPG (91.33 KiB) Viewed 191 times

... and you might have wandered a brook with SGM's Barleywine, and might have gotten a tad wet?

Thanks!

Ed

HookI

Post by HookI » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:39 am

Eperous wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:42 pm
HookI wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:40 pm
Somehow "the other Chuck" I think our paths might have crossed this Sunday past, down in the Garden State, when we each caught wild rainbows, like below....

fat, sassy CHWB bow.JPG

... and you might have wandered a brook with SGM's Barleywine, and might have gotten a tad wet?

Thanks!

Ed

There was a positive ID of your vehicle on that Blue Bird sky day , amazing things do happen like getting wet under those conditions, not a full blown Baptism= lucky me , I was able to continue for the next few hours & have a great guy to put me on a beautiful GS fishing experience . I had a lot of fun & the results were very good. I learned a ton !

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:42 am

And here he is! Dry as a bone for a few more minutes with a wild rainbow in hand.

GS Rainbow.jpg
GS Rainbow.jpg (113.96 KiB) Viewed 134 times

–Chuck
"The secret to life is honesty and fair dealing. When you can fake that, you've got it made." ---Groucho Marx