NY Times on Angling

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
bearbutt

NY Times on Angling

Post by bearbutt » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:57 am

Yesterday's NY Times had another essay (in the Travel section) about angling for salmon on NY's Salmon River. Like the last recent essay on fly fishing in the Times (in the Style section, of all places, https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/styl ... Position=1), which had cringeworthy moment of obvious naivete (remember the comment about "building the tackles, tying the flies” ?) the most recent attempt to share the enlightened experience of angling references snagging salmon: "a hopeful fisher must scan the waterways, look for a stray fin and cast, hoping to snag the tiny hook on a fish...."

Curiously, the print edition has the reference to snagging:

The online version, after some time, was changed to delete the reference--snagging being, well, you know....

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/08/trav ... -York.html

It's been a long time since we were treated to more thoughtful articles by Nelson Bryant and Pete Bordo in the Sports Section. I guess I am getting old?

bb

ted patlen

Re: NY Times on Angling

Post by ted patlen » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:52 am

an old friend sent the first article ...something like fly fishing the new something or other. I thought it was a ad for a high end guide service, B and B house. It emphasized on elitist, snobbish arrogance that chills my bones.

unfortunately many of the newer flyfishers are clueless to anything except posting there accomplishments on social media

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:06 pm

ted patlen wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:52 am
unfortunately many of the newer flyfishers are clueless to anything except posting there accomplishments on social media
Well stated Ted... I can't tell you how many times I've fished the Esopus of recent, only to encounter another FF--- who when trout start rising--- gets on a cellphone and soon enough buddies show up... what ever happened to angling as a contest against nature, where scores aren't kept and GPS coordinates aren't freely given out?

Ed

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:05 am

ted patlen wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:52 am

LOL--they also want an app on their phone to tie their knots for them and cast the rod for them and net the fish for them--it's like when you are in the grocery store in a checkout lane, and they are looking at their phones rather than help bag their own groceries--as if there's an app that will bag them for them.

This aside, there are some good kids out there who really care what they are learning--and supporting TU camps for kids is one thing we can all do to sustain fly fishing in a meaningful way.

bb