New regulations in region 3

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
catskilljohn

New regulations in region 3

Post by catskilljohn » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:54 pm

Some of you may have heard, some may be involved already and maybe some don’t know about it yet.... but there is a change headed our (region 3’s) way and it’s not good.

A proposed new set of stream rules are on the table and the most alarming of all is the “open season” in spawning tributaries. As many of you know, I’m a frequent’er of smaller waters and I have always been elated that some open late and close early to give the spawning trout a chance to come and go without being harassed.

This new proposal will in effect bring the salmon river mentality to the Catskills, except we don’t have reservoir run browns, and they aren’t huge, and there aren’t nearly as many and the redds are fewer and more fragile in our smaller tributaries.

I humbly ask anyone who cares to write to the dec in an email or letter to oppose this. I already received a reply from my letter, and while the region 3 rep was very articulate and helpful, it sounds like he’s simply the “voice” for a larger and more powerful something from above. I’m scared, for the streams, for the adult trout and for the parr that likely will be trampled in a small stream open all year long.

If you would, please take a few minutes to send Mike Flaherty an e-mail stating your feelings on this. I have been for the past 2 weeks asking everyone I know to spread the word, write to the dec and tell anyone they know about it. As Ed VanPut told me personally.... “this could be the end of wild trout fishing in the Catskills as we know it”
Mike Flaherty’s email address is....
r3admin@dec.ny.gov

Thanks everyone. CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"

mikevalla

Re: New regulations in region 3

Post by mikevalla » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:56 am

My guess is, when it's all said and done...more will be said, than done.

I submitted a snail mail letter----but who knows if I'll even get a response. There are some good biologists, but anything and everything in NYS government is decided and dictated from the "aboves." In whispers I've heard from those in the know, this is all about increasing NYS license sales. "Come to NYS---you can fish anytime now, all year." Everything is decided from the top, in NYS.

The hard, ineluctable fact is that there's a huge faction in our sport that really doesn't give a rat's ass about catching a wild trout. So long as they can whip out their cell phones, get that photo of a big fish that's held out 3ft from their body---angler smiling---and get it on Facebook as quickly as possible that's the goal. Hatchery fish, or wild fish----makes no difference

-MV
Follow me on Twitter

tailwater

Post by tailwater » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:29 am

As noted it all comes from above. Many years ago the senior biologist for region 5 was a friend. When I talked to him about policy he said it came from above.The moment he had the minimum for retirement he quit and ran a charter boat on Lake Ontario. I see the the fish shots also here.

Bud

Post by Bud » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:39 am

TGF is putting in its two cents on this, and the NRDC is getting involved. They don't usually deal with issues this local, but NRDC founder John Adams lives in the Catskills, and his son founded Catskill Mountainkeeper, so we've got a lot of dogs in this fight.

--Bud
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
-- Marx (Groucho)

Algyros

Post by Algyros » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:55 am

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, CJ. As soon as I'm done with this post, I'll write a letter as a "tourist" who comes back to the Catskills in part because of the wild trout in the tributaries.

Alex

Eperous

Post by Eperous » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:35 am

NYSDEC is looking to revise STATEWIDE inland trout management plans for all NYS trout streams, open to public fishing... not just Region 3 and/or the Catskills... essentially they want to manage streams as either wild or stocked, and manage such trout waters as REACHES... that is, a stream might have different reaches based upon biology and other factors, and thus different regulations... and yes, currently DEC is proposing a year-round catch-and-release approach on all such waters...

Having said that, DEC plans to make these proposed plans available for public comment, sometime in January 2020.... and the public will have its chance to respond... it would seem to me, folks might want to read about the plans in their entirety before responding, making comments on what they see as pro's and con's of such a proposal...

Just saying...

Ed

HookI

Post by HookI » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:28 am

Count me in on the letter response. In the past I spoken to Mr Mike Flaherty on a few Westchester water issues . And reaching him is pretty good
The other chuck

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:38 pm

A mandate from the higher-ups to see more license sales isn't unreasonable--assuming this is what is driving the proposal for a longer season with longer reach?

Perhaps we can assist in thinking of other ways to increase participation in angling, and fly fishing in particular--particularly in urban and suburban environments, where kids get little exposure. Last year I did a presentation on flies and fly fishing to a 4th grade class of Waldorf kids, and they sucked it all up--loved handling tying materials--and their teacher arranged for a guided day trip to a local lagoon in Chicago--. This kind of thing, with some support from the DEC, would not have short-term results--but long term? Perhaps also workshops for millennials and other young adults.

I'm also not against some lower reaches being open year-round, and as Ed pointed out, this consideration will be part of the planning. But it's serious that we need to be vocal about protecting spawning grounds and headwaters. I sent my letter in last week, and urge others to do so also.

bb

tailwater

Post by tailwater » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:40 pm

I see the main problem to any regulation new or old is the enforcement. I read how understaffed law enforcement is already. If the idea "reaches" to regulate a stream is even considered think of how that could be enforced. Some guy is supposed to watch a portion of a stream and not another part of it?

catskilljohn

Post by catskilljohn » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:31 pm

tailwater wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:40 pm
I see the main problem to any regulation new or old is the enforcement. I read how understaffed law enforcement is already. If the idea "reaches" to regulate a stream is even considered think of how that could be enforced. Some guy is supposed to watch a portion of a stream and not another part of it?
This post isn’t about enforcing the laws, it’s about the potential creation of new ones. Is there a shortage of officers patrolling our streams and woods? Yea, there always will be.
This “new” idea will allow people to have free reign on spawning tributaries. In our Catskills. A place that does not and cannot handle that sort of pressure.
For everyone that says “well, I’ll just stay away from spawning fish” there will be 5 that say “screw it, I’m not passing on that 20”er whether he’s spawning or not”.

Making the season last longer does nothing for the trout, nothing for the streams and will in my opinion have virtually no impact on license sales at all. Are people suddenly going to buy one cause they can fish in January?

This whole thing stinks, and while they are pitching it to be “simplified” what’s simpler than what’s currently been done? Everyone knows it closes and opens, that’s simple.

CJ
"Gentlemen,remove your hats,this is it"
"This is where the trout was invented?"
"Oh he existed in a crude,primitive form in Waltons England"
"But this is where they painted spots on him and taught him to swim"