New regulations in region 3

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
squish67

Re: New regulations in region 3

Post by squish67 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:23 pm

MIke

So that survey was done 10+ years ago, did not involve electro shocking (which I don't think has been done on the Battenkill since Ben Franklin), and I am not quite sure how they got that data. So at the last meeting they had which I think was 3 years ago, DEC said that based on that data, they were going to cut back in stocking above the Eagleville Covered Bridge, and only stock 2 year old fish. That they would not stock above the Springhole, which they later admitted was not the case as they dumped the excess fish at the 313 bridge. All this has little to do with the regulation changes, as the no-kill section of the Battenkill is open year round and that won't change.

As to the tribs, I find it hard to believe that the 5 or 6 guys who will wander up Murray Hollow or Camden Valley after October 15th, for the opportunity to do some no-kill fishing will not be well aware of of the redds and the need to stay away from them. The guys who are jacking fish now will still be there and we can only deal with that with enforcement. Fat chance that will happen under the current budget.

Many states have been successful under this type of management. Witness Jersey which our Eperous fishes regularly throughout the winter. I have seen small streams there that support native Brook and Brown trout, and they are virtually untouched after the regular season ends.

In the end the decision should be made based on science, and it will. Of course that is the same science that put all the wing dams in the Battenkill pointing downstream, and, oops, 50 years later, that is the wrong way!

I agree with Eperous. Go to the meetings, read the new regs, and give it a chance.

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:32 pm

In other words, the Battenkill system has no current, thorough scientific data on which to support regulation changes. I agree----should be based on science (but the science in this case, based on what Squish said, is woefully lacking).
Follow me on Twitter

squish67

Post by squish67 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:59 pm

Yeah, pretty much so. I imagine nothing at all on the tribs. Speaking of which, you live on a trib of the Hoosick? What do you see? do you go tramping through the redds in late October? Also , we are region 5.

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:33 pm

I can't see much reason to fish over spawning trout, or risk damaging redds and eggs by wading in the rivers and streams in late fall. Give the fish a break for a few months. Wild trout already have enough trouble surviving and reproducing.

Anyone who fishes the West Branch knows how many of the trout are hook scarred by the time June rolls around. They get pounded relentlessly.

If N.Y. State expands most waters to a year-round open fishing season, the results will be more harassed spawners, more damaged redds and eggs and more hook-scarred trout that never have a chance to heal.

rjj
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying

corlay

Post by corlay » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:53 pm

I agree that opening up small, wild trout waters to anglers year-round is a mistake.

Some of what i am getting from reading this thread is part of the reason to make change is to "simplify" the rules and regulations.
Heck, I'd be in favor of limiting ALL fishing on trout waters between oct 15-apr 15.
Yes, I said april 15th. Would prevent everyone from "shooting fish in a barrel" at the stocking bridge pools, before the snow melt calms down some and the trout have had time to spread out a bit.

Interesting that the survey data is so lacking on our NY trout streams.
It seems that PA is light years ahead of us in that regard?
I've read some pretty interesting scientific papers on PA wild trout stream ecology on the internet, just browsing over the years.
And PA DEC has a pretty cool interactive map that color-codes wild streams, naturally producing streams, stocked streams, "trophy waters", etc.

We could learn from PA. (including their apr15th opener...)

Bamboo&Brookies

Post by Bamboo&Brookies » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:02 am

Here is a post from guide Ken Tutalo about the proposed fishing regulations changes... including extending the trout season all year (Oct. 15-March 30 catch & release, artificials only).

There is also a response from Ed Van Put.

https://bit.ly/38sW1nY

Like I discussed with CJ, this is far from a done deal. With enough opposition, NY State will be encouraged to reconsider.

rjj
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a d*mn.
-Old New England saying