early season brookie patterns?

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
corlay

early season brookie patterns?

Post by corlay » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:24 pm

what patterns do you like to fish for eastern brookies innthe early season? snow melt is in process, water is high and turbid, tinged a greenish hue. before the red maples bud, and the quill gordons begin to hatch?

the prevailing stance is - it doesnt matter. Wild Brookies are ravenous, and in low-pressure settings arent all that picky. My selection criteria is usually pretty simple: “what will stay afloat innthese conditions”. So heavily palmered flies like the good ‘ol Brown Bivisible usually get auditioned.

Wondering how others here approach it. Other patterns I should consider? Even when the Quilll Gordons do appear, that whispy pattern doesnt fare well in a plunge pool setting.

Thanks!

Eperous

Re: early season brookie patterns?

Post by Eperous » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:44 pm

corlay wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:24 pm
what patterns do you like to fish for eastern brookies innthe early season? snow melt is in process, water is high and turbid, tinged a greenish hue. before the red maples bud, and the quill gordons begin to hatch?
I'm NOT fishing dry flies than... but if I did, I'd fish a #16 Adams... under the conditions you mention above I going DOWN, after trout... fishing a weighted Schwiebert Epeorus Nymph, perhaps an unweighted Ed Sens Quill Gordon Nymph as a dropper, and perhaps a weighted Martinez Black... if streams are really high and cold, and I need to go deep, then a weighted #10 Casual Dress...

Ed