Conehead Woolly Buggers and cold water

Eperous

Conehead Woolly Buggers and cold water

Post by Eperous » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:39 pm

Over the last several years, I've probably caught more trout from November through early March, in cold waters on a #8 Mustad 9672 Red-butt Conehead Woolly Bugger (CHWB) fished upstream deep and dead-drift on a short tight line, or twitching downstream it ever so slowly through those icy cold waters, than any other pattern....

If memory serves me right, over three-quarters of the trout I touched this November past ate my Red-butt CHWB, thus I tied a bunch today as snowflakes fell while our woodstove kept me warm....

1RB- #8 Mustad 9672 Red-butt CHWB.JPG
1RB- #8 Mustad 9672 Red-butt CHWB.JPG (95.8 KiB) Viewed 161 times
2RB-17 in Red-butt CHWB br.JPG
2RB-17 in Red-butt CHWB br.JPG (88.39 KiB) Viewed 161 times

Ed

HookI

Re: Conehead Woolly Buggers and cold water

Post by HookI » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:48 am

always appreciate your input and I'm learning a ton from it & RB CHWB in black is a good catching streamer ( used often from your posts ) Thanks Ed

I like cold water for a few reasons less guys in the parking lot :geek: and love to throw streamers , again I'm learning this game and I'm catching more on the position when after the line has straighten out ( down stream ) and begin the advance of a suttle twitch ( 2" - 6" ) with a pause of 2 - 3 seconds , depending on the movement of the water , more of a pause if the water is slow . This is where I'm getting the hook ups . . just wanted to share it out there . If your cathing before the line is tight and I'm not it might just be that I'm not " ever so slowly " twitching as you described up stream and missing some fishing along the movement . Are they short slow or long slow twitch ? = keeping up with the water flow
always appreciative your input . Thanks for sharing