Flatbrook Fish and Wildlife Management Area

TheIndian

Flatbrook Fish and Wildlife Management Area

Post by TheIndian »

Howdie...

Anyone every frequent this area and the Big Flat Brook? Hoping I would be legal if I go in December.

https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/2 ... regs19.pdf

According to this, I pretty sure one can fish year round...I'm looking at the very top of page 22...Catch and Release areas...as long as I follow the restrictions. Jan.1 to Dec. 31.

Any first hand info you have would be great...Thx!

Chris
Don't take it for granite, it's a gneiss day.

njcatchrelease

Re: Flatbrook Fish and Wildlife Management Area

Post by njcatchrelease »

Yes, you can fish Flatbrook year round, only closure would be during stocking period.

TheIndian

Post by TheIndian »

Thx njcathrelease! Great to have that piece of mind. ;)

I know nothing about the area...What does one do?...park on side of road and hike through woods in to river? I'll look online for a map perhaps.

Should I expect to see other fishermen this time of year?

Thx again.
Chris

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hello, Flatbrook from Route206 down stream for about41/2 miles is catch and release only all year long. I fished it in May and could not keep the trout off of my flies. Went back in mid October and only caught one about 11 inches long. I fished the same area as I did in May. There was more water in May then in Oct. Where the fish were is any bodies guess but I did learn that the eagles and other fish loving birds are around the river. I did see a person with two spinning rods walking down towards Werner’s pool as I was leaving. This was in Oct. I’m pretty sure he was not going to practice catch and release with two rods and one person. Most people do not read signs that say catch and release of all trout caught from 206 downstream. It is such a nice area to fish and have a lunch by the stream side. Bill themailman

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease »

TheIndian wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:16 pm
Thx njcathrelease! Great to have that piece of mind. ;)

I know nothing about the area...What does one do?...park on side of road and hike through woods in to river? I'll look online for a map perhaps.

Should I expect to see other fishermen this time of year?

Thx again.
Chris
There are plenty of pull offs and dirt roads where you can park and walk to the river, the state also has a few designated parking areas. I fish Flatbrook often and my best advice to you is to park and then walk either upstream or downstream from those areas. Get away from the easy areas and you will find fish.

You may see a fishermen or two out in December but not the masses you get in the spring. You'll have plenty of water to fish.

Here is the link to a map of the State's WMA: https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/wma ... ok_roy.pdf

Keep me posted on how you make out.

TheIndian

Post by TheIndian »

Thank you again. Just the info I was looking for. Was hoping to go this Saturday morning but looking like heavy rain. A commute from Jersey back to Long Island on a Saturday afternoon could be hellish given the forecast and the holiday season :shock:
Hopefully soon :D
Thanks again All!

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease »

TheIndian wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:17 pm
Thank you again. Just the info I was looking for. Was hoping to go this Saturday morning but looking like heavy rain. A commute from Jersey back to Long Island on a Saturday afternoon could be hellish given the forecast and the holiday season :shock:
Hopefully soon :D
Thanks again All!
In my experience the commute to Long Island is always hellish no matter when!

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

try the east branch of the croton...