Annual Holiday book giveaway---trivia contest

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
mikevalla

Annual Holiday book giveaway---trivia contest

Post by mikevalla »

Here's this year's trivia question. I'm always amazed how quickly some have provided the correct answer(s) every time I do this Holiday Book Giveaway. Former member Bill Shuck (who recently passed away) was always quick on the draw. As were Squish67 and Epeorus.
So, this year, I've upped the difficulty.

> The Prizes: One copy each of two of my upcoming books: The Classic Streamer Fly Box (March 1 release) Favorite Flies for the Catskills (April 1 release). Domestic postage paid by me (should there be a winner :o this is a tough one). Should there be no winner, I will donate a copy of each to a non-profit group of my choosing (i.e.--TU, library, etc.). Three of Bill Shuck's submitted patterns, by the way, appear in the Favorite Flies for the Catskills book---the final flies he tied before his death. The book is dedicated to him.

> The Rules: One Guess only. Deadline: December 23, 2019 Past winners welcome to participate. (neglected to say the FIRST one correctly answer wins)

>The Questions:

Art Flick's signature pattern, the Red Quill, was allegedly assigned a different name, in one written source-the author mistakenly spelled his name "Flicker," either by typo of otherwise. He writes:

"Invented by Art Flicker, well-known fly tyer and writer. This fly was at first named the Red Quill, but the name did not stick, which was a blessing in as much as there are actually dozens of red quill patterns both here and in England. A fly with such a name means little. XXXXXXX is now the accepted name."

>>Who wrote it?
>>What was the "new accepted name" XXXXXXXX
91bI8msBwmL._AC_UY436_QL65_ML3_.jpg
91bI8msBwmL._AC_UY436_QL65_ML3_.jpg (26.16 KiB) Viewed 648 times
41tkDoXgcAL._SX387_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
41tkDoXgcAL._SX387_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (38.05 KiB) Viewed 648 times
Follow me on Twitter

Theroe

Re: Annual Holiday book giveaway---trivia contest

Post by Theroe »

George Herter

Flicker Quill
“Time to go fishing”

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

dana got it first!

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Teddy is correct: THEROE is a winner! Obviously, again my trivia question was way too easy---totally unexpected! I thought it was a toughie :( :(

Because I'm such a good guy :shock: :shock: and because folks were not pre-alerted to this year's Holiday Season trivia book giveaway---I'm going to GIVE TWO MORE BOOKS AWAY, one of each, in a follow-up, second trivia contest: :) :)

Same rules as above The books will be mailed once my meager "author copies" number is provided to me by the publisher---usually a month or so after the release dates=

>>The new question will be posted Wednesday, December 19 Get ready--I gotta get tough on this one. You guys are too good!

-MV
Follow me on Twitter

redietz

Post by redietz »

Theroe wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:11 am
George Herter
That figures. The man had more "alternative facts" than a politician.
Bob

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

mikevalla wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:49 pm
Teddy is correct: THEROE is a winner! Obviously, again my trivia question was way too easy---totally unexpected! I thought it was a toughie :( :(
Foul, just reading this now, a few hours after the first post... :cry: BUT, CONGRATS to the winner....

Dana, good 4 U! ;) :D ;)

Ed

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

about time I won something :D :D :D :D :D
“Time to go fishing”

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

REMINDRER---

As posted yesterday:

The second Holiday Book giveaway Trivia contest will happen tomorrow, December 19th. The questions will be posted at 6:00 AM

The Trivia theme: The Neversink River

Because I'm such a good guy :shock: :shock: and because folks were not pre-alerted to this year's Holiday Season trivia book giveaway---I'm going to GIVE TWO MORE BOOKS AWAY, one of each, in a follow-up, second trivia contest: :) :)

Same rules as above The books will be mailed once my meager "author copies" number is provided to me by the publisher---usually a month or so after the release dates=

>>The new question will be posted Thursday, December 19 Get ready--I gotta get tough on this one. You guys are too good!
Follow me on Twitter

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

Win or not I can't wait for those books to hit the market.

upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout »

My answer ie Edward Ringwood Hewitt. Just wanted to get the jump on the competition! :lol: :x :lol:

Tom