Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
bearbutt

Re: Annual Holiday book giveaway---trivia contest

Post by bearbutt »

Theroe wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:41 pm
Great questions, Mike - absolutely FANTASTIC

bearbutt must be teaching..

LOL--I have 30 fifteen page papers to read and mark up and grade--and now you guys give me a bloody pop quiz.

I'll try:

1) Atherton, Mollie's pool
2) English Brown sedge
3) 1955
4) Burroughs
5) Darbee

bb

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Sorry BearButt---- :cry: :cry: :cry: You do not have 5 correct answers :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Grade your papers.... :)

-MV
Follow me on Twitter

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hello, I do not have the answers but would like to know when your books are coming out. I have been fishing the Beaverkill and Willo since 1954 and using the Catskills patterns. Would really like the books to add to my collection Thanks, Bill the mailman

bearbutt

Post by bearbutt »

mikevalla wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:19 am
Sorry BearButt---- :cry: :cry: :cry: You do not have 5 correct answers :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
LOL--guessing has its drawbacks. I am now wondering if Gingrich was ever a member of the Big Bend Club, even though he did fish there as a guest.....

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

mikevalla wrote:

-MV
Uh-oh...... I would’ve been wrong then too!!!!
“Time to go fishing”

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

Theroe wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:03 pm
mikevalla wrote:

-MV
Uh-oh...... I would’ve been wrong then too!!!!

I know something that's probably throwing you guys off in your search :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Sort of intentional :mrgreen: , because you guys are all too good.
Follow me on Twitter

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

With the major risk of being perceived as being antsy :lol: by Epeorus, let me give you one little tidbit hint on one of the questions. There's more than one Uncle John that fished the Neversink with flies :D :D
Follow me on Twitter

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

bearbutt wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:36 am
... I am now wondering if Gingrich was ever a member of the Big Bend Club, even though he did fish there as a guest.....
BB,

Gingrich WAS a member of Big Bend for TWO YEARS... his friend Charles Kerlee sponsored him when "old man Hewitt" was around 88 years old...

I agree with a few of your answers, but don't have them all yet... and might not.... :?

I'm not sure who will break first Mike Valla, who hovers over this post waiting to ponce, or us SGM members.... :)

Just saying.... ;)

...and Merry Christmas to all, even Scrooge... posing as we all know who... :P :oops: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Ed

JoeCz

Post by JoeCz »

My shots in the dark...

1) Atherton / Mollie's Pool
2) English Brown Sedge
3) 1954
4) Pope
5) Elsie Darbee

Fingers crossed...

Joe

mikevalla

Post by mikevalla »

JoeCz wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:49 pm
My shots in the dark...

1) Atherton / Mollie's Pool
2) English Brown Sedge
3) 1954
4) Pope
5) Elsie Darbee

Fingers crossed...

Joe

Oh Boy....Judges have decided that Question #3 has to be thrown out--due to a technicality.
It reads: . In the summer of what year did he become a member The question should have been written-- In what year did he spend his first summer as a member?

Gingrich's first summer as a member was 1955. But I'm not sure he became a member before summer, or not. In Gingrich's book The Well Tempered Angler we learn that that Charles Kerlee was questioned about "the fellow you were hoping to rope in this year." Kerlee said it was Gingrich. That was in April 1955 So, later on in the book, we learn from Gingrich that he spent his first summer as a member in 1955.
But who knows if Gingrich became a member in April, May, June or July of 1955. So, my Trivia question throws this into confusion on what the answer is. It appears the year was 1955---but he may have not joined in the summer of 1955.
IMG_2627.jpg
IMG_2627.jpg (78.36 KiB) Viewed 433 times
IMG_2628.jpg
IMG_2628.jpg (107.96 KiB) Viewed 433 times

>>The bottom line: Because #3 has be thrown out, JoeCz is the WINNER :D :D The difficult question, in my mind was JOHN POPE, which JoeCz answered correctly. JoeCz answered all other questions correctly. Uncle Joe is referenced in A.J. McClane's The Practical Fly Fisherman, in the wet flies chapter. Because I threw out question #3, I'm declaring a Trivia Contest mistrial :lol: :lol: :lol: ---I am awarding winner status to Bearbutt, JoeCz, Epeorus, and Upstate Trout :) :) :) :)

IMG_2629.jpg
IMG_2629.jpg (109.68 KiB) Viewed 433 times

As soon as I receive my meager number of "Author Copies" from the publisher, all three of you will get a copy of both of my upcoming books. This usually happens a month or so after the release late. Please note I'll wait until I receive in the mail BOTH books, before I ship them to you. One book has a March 1 release date, the other an April 1 release date. You'll get your books...but there will be a wait ;) ;)

Please PM me your addy I have Epeorus's addy (but not the addy for the others).
Follow me on Twitter