What's the dif?

Anything fly tying...
Eperous

What's the dif?

Post by Eperous »

When it comes to tying, what the difference between a fly "pattern" and a fly "dressing", if there is any? :?

Is the terminology interchangeable? :|

Ed

Theroe

Re: What's the dif?

Post by Theroe »

A pattern would be “Quill Gordon”
A dressing would be “ hook: Mustad 94840 size 12; thread: 6/0 black silk; tail: blue dun barbules; body: stripped peacock herl; wing: wood duck; hackle: blue dun“

Pattern =nomenclature(descriptive name)
Dressing = “parts list”

All in my humble opinion of course!!
Dana
“Time to go fishing”

squish67

Post by squish67 »

I'll second that Dana!

Rich

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hello, Years ago more then I want to remember, I was talking to Harry Darbee on his front porch. There were about 4or 5 of us there. Somebody asked him how he tied his Quill Gordon. It was the standard tie except he said he put Yellow floss under the body before he put on the peacock quill. For some reason that has been the way that I tie my Quill Gordon’s. Does it make a difference in catching trout? I don’t know because I have caught them with yellow floss and with out yellow floss. It comes down to pattern the standard. The dressing any thing you want to put on the fly and still call it what ever you are tying at that time as long as it looks like the standard pattern. Case in point Quill Gordon standard tie everybody knows and the dressing like Harry Darbee said it is like the standard but he just added something to it. Bill the mailman

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hello, Years ago more then I want to remember, I was talking to Harry Darbee on his front porch. There were about 4or 5 of us there. Somebody asked him how he tied his Quill Gordon. It was the standard tie except he said he put Yellow floss under the body before he put on the peacock quill. For some reason that has been the way that I tie my Quill Gordon’s. Does it make a difference in catching trout? I don’t know because I have caught them with yellow floss and with out yellow floss. It comes down to pattern the standard. The dressing any thing you want to put on the fly and still call it what ever you are tying at that time as long as it looks like the standard pattern. Case in point Quill Gordon standard tie everybody knows and the dressing like Harry Darbee said it is like the standard but he just added something to it. Bill the mailman

Vance

Post by Vance »

Sorry folks I hit submit twice by mistake. Bill the mailman

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

Vance wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:51 am
Sorry folks I hit submit twice by mistake. Bill the mailman
Bill, don't be sorry... I enjoy reading your posts.... and recall the yellow floss story under the Quill Gordon story... :)

Thanks for each response....

Ed

Vance

Post by Vance »

Ed, Have you tried using yellow floss under the Quill? Here’s another tidbit of how I put deer wings on caddis flies. Most people use deer hair from the body of the deer, Me I use the hair from the cheeks of a buck. The hair is about one inch long and does not flair out like the body hair. I put the body on first, thicker at the rear to a taper towards the eye of the hook. Then I put on the deer hair from the cheek about a wooden match in thickness, finally a hackle and head cement. Here is something else I do, I put on hackle of a mayfly I put the stems toward the rear. Most of the time I use two hackles and then cut them one at a time. One longer then the other when I cut them. By doing this it makes a nice taper from the tail towards the wings. Forgot, put the hackle between the divided wings of the May fly such as Hendrickson,Adams ,Marchbrown,etc. Tie the hackle in behind the wing. Tie in the tail,then the body, bring thread in front of the wing wind hackle in back and front of the wings one at a time finally tie off,cement head and you are now done. It’s easier to show somebody then it is to write about. Bill the mailman