January rainbows

Eperous

January rainbows

Post by Eperous »

With a break in yesterday's winter weather, I found my way to the Garden State and caught a few wild January rainbows, that took my Red-butt Conehead Woolly Bugger fished on point, and a small Pink Squirrel dropper...

It was a nice diversion from the Catskill winter thus far....

NJ-Red-butt CHWB bow.JPG
NJ-Red-butt CHWB bow.JPG (82.95 KiB) Viewed 945 times
NJ-foot long bow.JPG
NJ-foot long bow.JPG (109.94 KiB) Viewed 945 times
Ed

HookI

Re: January rainbows

Post by HookI »

Thanks for sharing Ed = I like that place a lot ,the boys had me there a few weeks ago , my results were not great but I'm in the learning process still . But they showed me the way I'm Ok with it as I always have fun with those guys . My PS might have been a tad large have to go down some me thinks .FYI I stayed dry as a bone this time = the other chuck
If it has fins I want to catch it .

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

HookI wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:42 pm
... My PS might have been a tad large have to go down some me thinks . ...
Other Chuck,

I'm NOT saying this is the right way, or the only way, to whip up a few Pink Squirrels... but, perhaps the original SGM Chuck--- Mr. Barleywine--- gave me a couple PS's that sort-of looked like this years ago, and I've been tying them that way since, on #14 TMC 3761 hooks,

FYI: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7587&hilit=pink+squirrel

These seem to work magic for me as a dropper nymph in your Garden State, December through March when most NYS is closed to trout fishing, on a short tight line...

Good luck, and good tying....

Ed

HookI

Post by HookI »

Eperous wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:17 pm
HookI wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:42 pm
... My PS might have been a tad large have to go down some me thinks . ...
Other Chuck,

I'm NOT saying this is the right way, or the only way, to whip up a few Pink Squirrels... but, perhaps the original SGM Chuck--- Mr. Barleywine--- gave me a couple PS's that sort-of looked like this years ago, and I've been tying them that way since, on #14 TMC 3761 hooks,

FYI: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7587&hilit=pink+squirrel

These seem to work magic for me as a dropper nymph in your Garden State, December through March when most NYS is closed to trout fishing, on a short tight line...

Good luck, and good tying....

Ed
Ed Thanks for the speedy reply the #12 TMC 3761 i'm using is I had thought it might be that = INCLUDING myself I'll go to #14 and give it a go . Thanks again
If it has fins I want to catch it .