March Brown

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
ibookje

March Brown

Post by ibookje »

Tied a Catskill style March Brown today

I used a vintage Mustad 94842 size 12 hook.
The hook shank is maybe slightly on the shorter side compared to the Mustad 94840 but I really like the up eye of the 94842.

Wooduck flank feathers for the wings, hackle mixed with Hebert Miner grizzly and Collins brown, Veevus 16/0 tan thread and tan coloured fox dubbing

Vance

Re: March Brown

Post by Vance »

Hi, Nice tie on the Marchbrown. I tie about the same way with a few changes. I still have some hooks from Herters that I use for my Marchbrown. I use either a 10 or a size 12 which are 1x long. Try using some deer hair from the cheek of a white tailed buck for the wing. In fast water I use the cheek deer hair on the tail also and it floats like a cork. This pass year the first week in June I must have caught at least 25 trout on the above description of my Marchbrown While fishing the B’kill. Bill the mailman

blackdirtfly

Post by blackdirtfly »

My Dad loves the up eye hooks. Always asks me to tie some for him. Thats a beautiful fly.

ibookje

Post by ibookje »

A few years ago I acquired a dozen Catskill (style) flies tied by Winnie Dette ca. 1990.

Here's the March Brown by Winnie.

Sorry for the lousy photo. The flies are sent to a friend who will frame the flies for me.