PED vs Sulfur

Anything fly tying...
Laminarman

PED vs Sulfur

Post by Laminarman »

Do you folks normally tie two different patterns (other than size)? I just tie "sulfurs" and still get humiliated at dusk. I'm doing some tying now of course, and wondering if I should differentiate. I use a paler sulfur in a smaller size in the evenings on the delaware and wonder if that's the problem with refusals. I am not a big believer in patterns by the way, because I've been out-fished with Hares Ears and Adams all day long by my buddy and that's about all he carries. So basically I think i just suck.

Eperous

Re: PED vs Sulfur

Post by Eperous »

Laminarman wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:28 pm
... I just tie "sulfurs" and still get humiliated at dusk. ... I am not a big believer in patterns by the way...
Agreed, and don't think you suck, else that makes two of us, including me with you... :oops: :P :roll:

Duly noted, I tend to tie a bunch of different Sulfur patterns... some Comparadun, a Usual, a Parachute or two, and lots of CDC's in various sizes and shapes... on any given day, one type might work, and often none seem to do "the trick" given the number of trout rising.... :?

Ed

Laminarman

Post by Laminarman »

A guy told me “your fur is not the specific orange these trout prefer”. I don’t believe it for two reasons. One he was a geek and two he was upstream and caught no fish either. I wondered if overall hue mattered like PED were just “darker” or something.

Matt Grobert

Post by Matt Grobert »

I wouldn't worry so much about having the exact color of the naturals, instead I'd have a few different style patterns in different sizes and focus more on presentation - your cast, leader, tippet size and length, making sure your fly is floating as it should and getting a drag-free drift. At dusk switching to a spinner often does the trick, too.

Laminarman

Post by Laminarman »

Matt Grobert wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:00 am
I wouldn't worry so much about having the exact color of the naturals, instead I'd have a few different style patterns in different sizes and focus more on presentation - your cast, leader, tippet size and length, making sure your fly is floating as it should and getting a drag-free drift. At dusk switching to a spinner often does the trick, too.
I get all that stuff, I must just suck. Anyone care to share a PED emerger pattern? Might as well tie during this down time. God April can't get here fast enough.

narcodog

Post by narcodog »

I tye my sulpher's with contrasting body's. The abdomen is pale yellow or sulpher then I put a touch of red or orange for the thorax. The other patteren I had tremendous success is with a Hans Weilenmon (sic) CDC and deer. I have fished that type of fly from here at home to Maine to Montana and it always produces.

If you look at a sulpher, PMD you'll notice a slight difference in coloration in the bugs body. As far as an emerger pattern I can say I almost never fish them.

Laminarman

Post by Laminarman »

narcodog wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:26 am
I tye my sulpher's with contrasting body's. The abdomen is pale yellow or sulpher then I put a touch of red or orange for the thorax. The other patteren I had tremendous success is with a Hans Weilenmon (sic) CDC and deer. I have fished that type of fly from here at home to Maine to Montana and it always produces.

If you look at a sulpher, PMD you'll notice a slight difference in coloration in the bugs body. As far as an emerger pattern I can say I almost never fish them.
Most fish I take are on sulfur emergers during the day/morning hatches. Its the tiny ones as the light is going away that I just seem to strike out on a lot. Of course these are West Branch or main stem fish in slick water. I have a friend who does very well on them with a small floating (foam wing case) pheasant tail in the surface film but I must have drag because I've yet to take a fish on it. I have done somewhat OK on a small "Usual" size 18 or 20 at times. If I was smart I'd just stick with that but then again we always have to look for a better solution don't we.

Variant

Post by Variant »

If there is a good hatch of sulfers during the day usually there will be a spinner fall in the evening if the weather permits. I have had good results with a spinner pattern, I admit the fly can be hard to see at times in the falling light. Sometimes I tie on something that I can see and fish the spinner pattern as a dry dropper about 18inches behind. If the point fly moves in anyway just lift you might be surprised!

Lou

Laminarman

Post by Laminarman »

Variant wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:12 pm
If there is a good hatch of sulfers during the day usually there will be a spinner fall in the evening if the weather permits. I have had good results with a spinner pattern, I admit the fly can be hard to see at times in the falling light. Sometimes I tie on something that I can see and fish the spinner pattern as a dry dropper about 18inches behind. If the point fly moves in anyway just lift you might be surprised!

Lou
I will admit I have not given a small spinner a fair shake at those times so I should make sure I try that. I hate fishing the bloody things due to lack of visibility which worsens every year with older eyes. I never even thought about using another fly as an indicator so thank you!

Matt Grobert

Post by Matt Grobert »

I"m hard of sight, too. I tie my spnners using hi-vis material for a post. THis is a rusty spinner, just change the body color to pale yellow and if you want add the egg sac in orange.
Hi-vis Spinner.jpg
Hi-vis Spinner.jpg (21.16 KiB) Viewed 323 times