Betters Haystack

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
fishcane

Re: Betters Haystack

Post by fishcane »

SamsonCane

Post by SamsonCane »

St.Froid wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:00 pm
SamsonCane wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:00 pm
Right. That's how I was taught to tie it and I don't really like the looks of the Usuals with orange dubbing. The original way is the better way, sort of like fly rods- I don't think anyone who has ever cast a top-quality Tonkin or bamboo rod has any ground to argue that graphite/glass is better. The complaints of "too slow" or "too fragile" are simply because they have only ever used a Montague or H-I. It's really a shame that graphite was ever invented.
Well, some of us, me, who rely on the gods of farming for my meager income are terribly appreciative of the graphite rod and it's price point. Not everyone is blessed with the discretionary funds needed to purchase your 'top quality' Tonkin cane.

...as for the OP, I don't fish dries very often but when I do it's almost always a Haystack. If it isn't a Haystack it will be another Better's design: the Ausable Bomber.

Hey, what about good cheap cane rods??? Many modern makers have top quality bamboo rods for the same as or less than decent graphite and the same applies to fiberglass rods, except sometimes you can get an amazing, buttery glass rod for $50 or less, because unlike cane, the seller hasn't had his expectations inflated to gigantic proportions "Oh, a Payne is $3000? Guess this unmarked one might be worth a little bit less, but still a lot!"

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

SamsonCane wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:51 pm
... what about good cheap cane rods??? Many modern makers have top quality bamboo rods for the same as or less than decent graphite and the same applies to fiberglass rods ...
Agreed... up until the last couple years, one could acquire a used Orvis Battenkill on the cheap, for less than new graphite sticks... ;)

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hello, I see we go from Betters hay stack to fly rods Well any way I have a Orvis Madison 71/2 ft. that my wife bought for me 53 years ago and which I still use to this day. I have graphite rods also but I just Love my Bamboo Madison. I am sure other people love there bamboo flyrods over graphite. Everybody stay healthy, Bill the mailman

fishcane

Post by fishcane »

I have a fairly decent collection of bamboo(mostly Granger, Orvis and an 8’ Dickerson)acquired over the last few decades but my 2 handed rods are almost all graphite. A good portion of those graphite rods were more expensive then a majority of my bamboo.

Vance

Post by Vance »

Hello again, I forgot to tell what my Orvis Madison cost back in 1967. It was bought at Ramsey Outdoor Store in Ramsey,NJ and the cost was $91.00. Yes 91.00 and I guess was a lot of money back then. Bill the mailman