History of the Catskill region

Everyone loves a good fish story!
Talk techniques, experiences , gear, etc
ibookje

History of the Catskill region

Post by ibookje »

Fly fishing and history are two subjects that interests me a lot.
I have been looking for the history about the Catskill region as a prelude to a presentation I made about the birth of modern fly fishing.

I visited the National Maritime museum (https://www.hetscheepvaartmuseum.nl) in Amsterdam last week with my family.

I ran into some interesting original maps. Here is a map of the America's from around 1655, in the height of the Dutch Golden Age.

Too bad the focus isn't as good as I hoped for

Here is a map from a later period (around 1671), probably a copy of the original map by Jan Mathijz.
Source: http://www.atlasofmutualheritage.nl/nl/ ... erika.6722
No mention of the new 'Nederlandt' (Netherlands) back then also known as 'Belgica' or Catskill yet...

This is a map of about 15 years later, around 1684 where the Dutch colony already made their home in the 'Kats Kill' hills.

It's not really visible but it says ''t Land van Kats Kill' (The land of Kats Kill, as 'Kill' being an old Dutch phrase for 'stream')

On Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catskill_ ... _1685).jpg) you can see a higher resolution of the painting from 1685. The Esopus ('Groote Esopus R.) was already an established name for a stream. There also seems to be a stream named 'Kats Kill' in the painting.

Yes, here is 'Nederlandt' and also the early mentioning of 'Niew Jorck' (New York)

Last edited by ibookje on Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ted patlen

Re: History of the Catskill region

Post by ted patlen »

very, very cool. You're not alone as a historian fly fisher. I was there in 94 as they were building a famous ship from their past. I can't recall the name but saw the ship in one of your photo's. Do you recall that ships name?

ibookje

Post by ibookje »

The replica of a ship from the Golden Age next to the museum is called the 'Amsterdam'.
There's another replica is called the 'Batavia' and is located in the city of Lelystad (https://www.batavialand.nl/de-batavia)

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

ibookje wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:16 am
... The Esopus ('Groote Esopus R.) was already an established name for a stream. There also seems to be a stream named 'Kats Kill' in the painting. ...
Very neat indeed...

As you probably already know, the Esopus received its name from a Native American tribe who lived in the region... and the stream you refer to as 'Kats Kill', based upon its location might either be Kaaterskill Creek that flows out of Greene County and is a tributary of the Catskill Creek, or the Catskill Creek itself which flows into the Hudson River at Catskill...

Author/historian Alf Evers wrote extensively about the history of the Catskills and noted that the early Dutch called the region the Blue Mountains as seen from the Hudson River... some quotes below from prior research I had done,

"Native Americans referred to it as Onteora, Land in the Sky while the first white settlers knew it as the Blue Mountains. Alf Evers in his epic work, The Catskills, wrote, “They are commonly known by the name of the Blue Mountains, on account of a blueness or haze which they present to the eye when seen from a distance.” It wasn’t until the nineteenth century that this region generally became known as the Catskills, something that Evers credits to the tales of Washington Irving and the famous Catskill Mountain House."

Thanks for posting,

Ed

ibookje

Post by ibookje »

Thanks for the add Ed :)

About the name 'Catskill':
I read that some think it's referring to 'Kat' (cat) as there were Mountain Lions in the area.
My idea is that it's referring to 'Kats', a well known family name still here in The Netherlands

Eperous

Post by Eperous »

ibookje wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:21 am
...About the name 'Catskill':
I read that some think it's referring to 'Kat' (cat) as there were Mountain Lions in the area. ...
I read that also... without going back and looking, not sure if Alf Evers wrote that, or maybe Richard Lionel De Lisser in his Picturesque Ulster, or maybe someone else, or maybe several writers? :?

And I'm sure you know Art Flick's Schoharie Creek in Greene County has a trib called the Batavia Kill.... all interesting stuff...

Thanks again,

Ed

Variant

Post by Variant »

Beautiful maps and subject matter fascinating.
Thank you for posting,
Lou

ted patlen

Post by ted patlen »

I saw them building the Batavia.

HookI

Post by HookI »

Love the maps , can look at them for hours , thanks for sharing

Catskills = Catamount , Mt. Lion ,Eastern Cougar , Puma

Read a few books where depending on who described the Mountain Cat , Brown , Red , Black
If it has fins I want to catch it .

redietz

Post by redietz »

I find it interesting that the first map shows Africa as being entirely above the equator. Yet, the new world is shown fairly properly located.
Bob