March...Brown?

From Halford's early dries to the Catskill dry and everything else that floats on the surface.
Caneghost

March...Brown?

Post by Caneghost »

In the realm of STRANGE hatches, a friend and I encountered the oddest March Browns on the Beaverkill this year. The trout refused both the tannish amber and pale dirty yellow imitations I have relied upon for years. Couldn't capture a fly until my friend got one as we walked out. The bug looked like a typical March Brown, size 10 except it was the brightest shade of road sign yellow I have ever seen!

Being crazy I tied these at home and, next trip caught those refusing browns. Anyone seen this color in nature before? Has radioactive material been released into the Beaverkill?
Yellowww MB.jpg
Yellowww MB.jpg (59.46 KiB) Viewed 986 times
...a glint of sunlight on polished cane...

http://brightwatercatskill.art.blog

redietz

Re: March...Brown?

Post by redietz »

You're sure it wasn't a yellow drake?
Bob

twistedtippet

Post by twistedtippet »

+1 on what Bob said.

tt

Theroe

Post by Theroe »

did it look like this?

“Heptagenia culacantha“

Ken Tutalo and I both saw this insect the same week on the Beaverkill/ Delaware....... I didn’t know what it was, but he figured it out and posted this picture somewhere. I don’t remember where, but this photo came from him (thanks Ken)

Dana
Attachments
34DCDE61-6452-4DB5-81BE-2B21D484CFCC.jpeg
34DCDE61-6452-4DB5-81BE-2B21D484CFCC.jpeg (149.08 KiB) Viewed 958 times
“Time to go fishing”

Caneghost

Post by Caneghost »

These were not Yellow Drakes. I did some collecting with Greg Hoover decades ago on Ephemerella varia so I am very familiar with that bug. The wing venation and blotching looked typical for a March Brown, and the legs were banded. Checked my log and it was the last days of May and first couple of June. The flies were size 10 to 12. They did not look like the bug in your photo. The trout certainly keyed on the bright yellow color. Switched off to the normal ties and they were not interested.

Who knows? I guess the fall back is there are hundreds of minor species of mayflies that don't appear in the popular angling entomologies. Might never see these creatures again.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Caneghost

Post by Caneghost »

Excuse me, Ephemera varia. Memory is a terrible thing to lose.